• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tremendously Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a. nony mous

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

8 years ago I went to the ER for an injury received on the job. Apparently the company never finished the paperwork (I did my portion and gave it to the hospital at the time of service) and the debt went to collections. I contacted the collectors immediately and gave them my company's information. I never heard back from the collectors. (A year or so after all of this, the company went under.)

2 weeks ago, and 8 years later, I received a collections notice from a second company. The hospital's name and the original collector's name were listed on this notice.

How do I proceed with this? I have been under the impression this was taken care of years ago. How long can a company collect on a debt? Help! :confused:

adjusterjack

The statute of limitations in GA is 6 years for debts based on written contracts (GA code 9-3-20 et seq) which likely applies since you probably signed stuff when you went in.

Assuming that there hasn't already been a lawsuit against you, you are safe to ignore it.

a. nony mous

Thanks adjusterjack!

I have not had an judgement against me, so thank you for the information. I was more than a little surprised to receive this bill.

A second question, I have been contacted via telephone and my mother has been contacted via phone. Is there any sort of action I can take to prevent them from contacting me?

adjusterjack

A second question, I have been contacted via telephone and my mother has been contacted via phone. Is there any sort of action I can take to prevent them from contacting me?
Read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. It'll answer that question.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/fair-debt-collection-practices-act-text

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">