• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uber owes me and won't pay up - what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. S.D.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a driver for Uber. Drivers are considered contractors and not employees. Uber is supposed to direct deposit to your pay to your bank account but I never got paid. They told me they did pay and the money is in my bank account. But it isn't and I even sent them my bank statements to prove the money isn't there. It could be I gave them the wrong routing or account number. But if so, the money should bounce back, and if so they should be willing to try it again with updated information.

I contacted them twice and both times they said they would run a trace and get back to me in a week but they never did. Then when I try to contact them again, they say the issue has been resolved. But after 3 months, I still have not received payment nor proof of payment (a tracer).

They are a large company and don't even have a telephone number. How can I get them to move? The amount is only a week's pay but nevertheless they owe it. Can I take them to small claims court? Turn it over to a collection agency? Thank you.

OHRoadwarrior

If the money was sent to another persons account, they may have removed it. Uber may not be able to recover the money and thus have determined it is easier to ignore you than try to discover if you scammed them or not. You can sue them in small claims court, if your contract allows.

Mr. S.D.

If the money was sent to another persons account, they may have removed it. Uber may not be able to recover the money and thus have determined it is easier to ignore you than try to discover if you scammed them or not. You can sue them in small claims court, if your contract allows.
I don't see how it is possible to direct deposit the funds in someone else's account. If the name does not match, then the funds are returned, right?

single317dad

I don't see how it is possible to direct deposit the funds in someone else's account. If the name does not match, then the funds are returned, right?
Many ACH transactions made with very little in the way of safeguards. Take, for example, the check you write at the grocery store nowadays: they scan it and hand it right back to you. The information transmitted is the routing and account numbers at the bottom of the check, and the amount; nothing else is sent nor needed. The paper check does not need to be shipped off to the originating bank.

Have you asked Uber what account they deposited the money to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">