• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Debit for collection fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmlehnert

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband has a credit card that unfortunately has been placed in collections. We made arrangements with the company to makee a payment through an automatic withdraw from our checking on May 15th and June 15th. While balancing our checkbook I noticed that this company ran an UNauthorized debit from our checking last night. I called my husband and he said that he never spoke to the collector however the collector left a message on the voicemail that he was going to run a check through.

Is this legal to draft money from a checking account without authorization. Luckily, we had a little bit of overdraft protection on our account because the unauthorized withdraw made our account go negative.

Please help!!!

this collector is a butt head; I have already turned him in once and I would love to burn him again!! I have NEVER in my entire life ever meet a person as rude as this collector. I know that is their job but he is awful. This is a business debt and he was threating to take my house and my name is not even on the business.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Whoops...

Never, ever, give a colllector access to your bank account. You can call your bank and see if they will refuse access to this person, but your safest route is to close that account and open a new one at an entirely different bank.

If this is a business card and they're taking it out of your business account, that's your only recourse. They'll keep trying...

If this is your personal account that you just happen to be using for business, you might be able to nail them with the FDCPA (although, technically, thats just for consumer debts). If its a business account, the only way to keep this person's hands off your money is to close it.

And no, he can't take your house unless this is a secured debt...with your house as collateral. He may be able to sue, but there's a long way between here and there...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">