• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployed 1 garnishment already,served again

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mangofrt

What is the name of your state? ny

hi, For the past few years for some reason or another been unable to get on my feet.To make a long story short, about 2-3 months before losing my job of a few years in February, this collection agency started garnishing my wages for an old cc debt (from about 5-6 yrs ago)I believe it was an old providian cc but it may also have been a cross country bank since these were the only cards I had 1999/00.I had already been having lots of financial problems and am a single parent trying to get by.At 1st was upset about garnishment but then I figured for better or for worse the debt would get paid.Unfortunately lost my job unexpectedly soon after.These nasty creditors Rubin & Rothman have frozen my bank account which fortunately had no money in it as all I get is a small unemployment check and can hardly get by.I'm looking for a job but its not so easy.Now the same company is threatening me for an old utility bill from 02.I am obviously in no position to pay this right now and its very frustrating to me because I'm unemployed and barely making it now as is.I tried to call these people and inform them.The woman wasn't available so I left a message telling them I am currently unemployed and sure that they'd continue garnishing soon as I found a job.Mind you the # was unlisted & blocked but lo and behold i get a call yesterday from the nastiest woman threatening me.After trying nicely to explain I ended up hanging up on her as her tone was nastier and nastier.I now fear there are probably 1 or 2 more bills that are going to "reappear" in this matter. HELP!!! I feel so stressed because I'm going under and I sincerely wish I could pay but can't.I'm afraid when I start working again I will never catch up because i have all these old bills i just can't take care of.Any advice would be much appreciated.God bless.

tarobbo

It is illeagal for credit collectors to take any unemployment $$. Just send them a copy of your award letter. They can not touch it.

mangofrt

thanx for the advice Tarobo. i'm just very stressed out and it seems once creditors see that one was able to garnish they all go in for the kill and unfortunately when i start working i'm afraid i'll barely be able to feed my kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">