• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Debt and Spouse's Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SMurp

I owe Washington State Unemployment $6000 in overpayment. I received a letter stating that if I don't pay it in full that a warrant will be filed and a lien will be placed on all my real and personal property.

My question is: Can my husband's wages/bank account be garnished because of my debt? We have separate bank accounts and he is active duty military.

LdiJ

I owe Washington State Unemployment $6000 in overpayment. I received a letter stating that if I don't pay it in full that a warrant will be filed and a lien will be placed on all my real and personal property.

My question is: Can my husband's wages/bank account be garnished because of my debt? We have separate bank accounts and he is active duty military.
No, your husband's wages and bank account are safe. Or, at least they are safe if you do not have your paychecks deposited into his account.

SMurp

No, your husband's wages and bank account are safe. Or, at least they are safe if you do not have your paychecks deposited into his account.
Thank you for answering. I am currently unemployed and our house/cars are all in my husband's name, so they wouldn't be able to seize anything from me. I'm only asking because Washington is a community property state.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Thank you for answering. I am currently unemployed and our house/cars are all in my husband's name, so they wouldn't be able to seize anything from me. I'm only asking because Washington is a community property state.
"Yet". They cannot seize anything from you ... yet.

SMurp

I am currently unemployed. I have no real or personal property. Would Washington State be able to file a warrant and take out a lien on my husband's property? Both the house and cars were purchased by him before we were married.

LdiJ

I am currently unemployed. I have no real or personal property. Would Washington State be able to file a warrant and take out a lien on my husband's property? Both the house and cars were purchased by him before we were married.
Again, no. However, you could make things a lot easier by getting a job earning enough to make installment payments back to the state.

commentator

Have you talked to the department and asked to set up a payment plan? Or have you just been dodging them? Hint, the more you avoid them, the harder they will come after you.

Have you discussed this situation with your husband? Rather than have your and his credit affected, rather than have them come after any of your property or assets, your and his tax refunds, have you asked him for help in working with them and possibly setting up some form of payment plan? I suspect that you haven't.

I have news for you. If you and he are married, and you have no assets and you are not self supporting and you flatly refuse to cooperate with them, and do not request a waiver (which they likely would not grant anyhow, because your spouse's income is a consideration) you are making things much worse for both of you. The unemployment which you received illegally was part of your total family income, had to be reported on your (we assume) joint income taxes, and will be recouped from you both if you personally have zero income yet are being supported by him and have a fraud overpayment which you refuse to deal with.

Last edited:

SMurp

Have you talked to the department and asked to set up a payment plan? Or have you just been dodging them? Hint, the more you avoid them, the harder they will come after you.

Have you discussed this situation with your husband? Rather than have your and his credit affected, rather than have them come after any of your property or assets, your and his tax refunds, have you asked him for help in working with them and possibly setting up some form of payment plan? I suspect that you haven't.

I have news for you. If you and he are married, and you have no assets and you are not self supporting and you flatly refuse to cooperate with them, and do not request a waiver (which they likely would not grant anyhow, because your spouse's income is a consideration) you are making things much worse for both of you. The unemployment which you received illegally was part of your total family income, had to be reported on your (we assume) joint income taxes, and will be recouped from you both if you personally have zero income yet are being supported by him and have a fraud overpayment which you refuse to deal with.
Yes, I actually have. I spoke with them upon receiving the prejudgment letter on Friday. I was told that since the past due amount is $6000, then that's what I would have to pay in order for the warrant not to be filed. My husband is aware as well, he is currently deployed and is hoping that I can call them again tomorrow to try and work something out further.

I didn't receive the overpayment by fraud, the state made a mistake with the unemployment payments. I didn't lie about anything. Both the house and cars are in his name and his name only. In addition, they were all purchased before we were married. Would the state be able to take out a lien on them?

LdiJ

Yes, I actually have. I spoke with them upon receiving the prejudgment letter on Friday. I was told that since the past due amount is $6000, then that's what I would have to pay in order for the warrant not to be filed. My husband is aware as well, he is currently deployed and is hoping that I can call them again tomorrow to try and work something out further.

I didn't receive the overpayment by fraud, the state made a mistake with the unemployment payments. I didn't lie about anything. Both the house and cars are in his name and his name only. In addition, they were all purchased before we were married. Would the state be able to take out a lien on them?
I do not see how the state could do that. Since fraud had nothing to do with it, and it was their error, how has it reached the point where they are threatening a warrant if its not paid in full all at once?

single317dad

I do not see how the state could do that. Since fraud had nothing to do with it, and it was their error, how has it reached the point where they are threatening a warrant if its not paid in full all at once?
Whenever any such notice of determination of liability becomes conclusive and final, the commissioner, upon giving at least twenty days' notice, using a method by which the mailing can be tracked or the delivery can be confirmed, may file with the superior court clerk of any county within the state a warrant in the amount of the notice of determination of liability plus a filing fee under RCW 36.18.012(10). The clerk of the county where the warrant is filed shall immediately designate a superior court cause number for the warrant, and the clerk shall cause to be entered in the judgment docket under the superior court cause number assigned to the warrant, the name of the person(s) mentioned in the warrant, the amount of the notice of determination of liability, and the date when the warrant was filed. The amount of the warrant as docketed shall become a lien upon the title to, and any interest in, all real and personal property of the person(s) against whom the warrant is issued, the same as a judgment in a civil case duly docketed in the office of such clerk. A warrant so docketed shall be sufficient to support the issuance of writs of execution and writs of garnishment in favor of the state in the manner provided by law for a civil judgment. A copy of the warrant shall be mailed within five days of its filing with the clerk to the person(s) mentioned in the warrant using a method by which the mailing can be tracked or the delivery can be confirmed.
It sounds like our Indiana "tax warrant". Not a body attachment or warrant for the arrest, yet.

commentator

There are two ways to get overpaid in unemployment, there are fraud overpayments, where you actually lied or falsified your claim in some way to obtain benefits. As in "No, I did not work any last week," when you did. Or "I was fired unjustly" or "I was laid off" when you really quit. Or, 'I'm healthy and I've made these work searches" when you aren't and haven't. Or you forgot to mention that although you were laid off from your day job, you worked at a club in the evenings and made another whole set of income and filed for unemployment while doing it.

Fraud overpayments are usually caught by wage records cross matching, if you work for another covered employer, or through the information submitted by the employer, or by income tax records of earnings or by someone calling in to report you for committing unemployment fraud. When they are found, they are investigated. The claimant is contacted, the investigator researches and then makes a decision whether the fraud actually occurred, how much fraud occurred, and usually penalties are attached to the overpayment.

Then it goes to the legal arm of the agency for collections. They want their money back. Far more than they want to prosecute, they want that money back. They generally will not go away, whether you have anything for them to get or not. This overpayment that you owe to this state agency will be around for a long long time to haunt you.

Or there is what is called "non-fraud" overpayments, where you file for benefits, your initial decision is made, approving the benefits, and you begin receiving them. Then the employer appeals, the second in person hearing is held, and the decision to give you benefits is overturned. Those benefits you have received are an overpayment now, you are expected to pay them back. But they were not obtained fraudulently. They may go on your record, but they are not generally pursued aggressively. There are no penalties involved. They may eventually begin collection processes on these kinds of overpayments, such as taking your state or federal income tax refunds, etc, and you would not be able to draw any more unemployment benefits until this was repaid, but they seldom take non-fraud overpayments to collection aggressively.

In neither of these two scenarios did the agency "make a mistake." And I also am having a seriously hard time seeing how it got to this point unless it was fraud and you had ignored their initial inquiries. Even though they cannot "get" your husband's property, perhaps, they can certainly keep coming after your and his tax returns, any income you make, etc.

If the "past due" amount is $6000, and you are not going to be allowed to negotiate or set up a repayment program with them, then I gather you must have done so in the past and failed to make the repayments? In the big scheme of things, $6000 (which will probably grow as time goes on and interest and penalties accumulate) which you did get at one time and now can't pay back is a relatively small amount to drag with you through life and have affecting your credit and your situation for years to come. Get a job and pay this off.

Last edited:

LdiJ

It sounds like our Indiana "tax warrant". Not a body attachment or warrant for the arrest, yet.
Ah...well that is easier to swallow. I despise our Indiana "tax warrants" because they scare the bejeesus out of elderly people who will often pay the amount it says they owe, when nine times out of ten the number is 10 times more what they really owe.

commentator

Unemployment overpayments aren't subjective, and they do not over-estimate or negotiate the amount down that someone actually received. You can't negotiate with them to pay half, or a lesser amount, etc.

They'll usually do payment plans, but they won't absolve you unless you qualify for a waiver, which apparently this person has not requested or perhaps did not qualify for because of fraud overpayment. There was also a window of time in which this person could've appealed the overpayment, if it was "an error" made by the department.

Since they have it down to the penny exactly how much the person did receive and they have made a formal decision (with or without this person's input) of how much of that was paid out due to fraud or non-fraud overpayment, they're NOT just sending you something you don't need to take seriously. It appears your time to appeal the overpayment has passed.

What I would like to remind the OP here is that she actually DID get the six thousand dollars here a while back, whether it was due to fraud, a mistake on the part of the agency, or due to an appealed decision. It was a rather nice loan. Now, it's time to start trying to come up with some way to pay it back.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">