• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Credit Card Debt from Years ago!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blmyers85

I managed to rack up a LOT of debt in the past around 2010 in Kansas. Including several credit cards, ebay/paypal, lasik eye correction, doctor/hospital visits. I hit a low point in my life and just ignored everything and never paid any of my bills. I moved out of my apartment I was renting at the time and never updated my mailing address. This took place around 4 years ago or so and I DID NOT file for bankruptcy. I imagine they tried to sue me?

I am very cautious about opening new bank accounts.. applying for anything with credit involved, etc.

My questions are can they garnish my bank accounts?
How long, if it all, can they still collect this money?

Any input about this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I managed to rack up a LOT of debt in the past around 2010 in Kansas. Including several credit cards, ebay/paypal, lasik eye correction, doctor/hospital visits. I hit a low point in my life and just ignored everything and never paid any of my bills. I moved out of my apartment I was renting at the time and never updated my mailing address. This took place around 4 years ago or so and I DID NOT file for bankruptcy. I imagine they tried to sue me?

I am very cautious about opening new bank accounts.. applying for anything with credit involved, etc.

My questions are can they garnish my bank accounts?
How long, if it all, can they still collect this money?

Any input about this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You want people to help you avoid your responsibilities? Yes they can come after you. Try paying your bills.

bigun

Unless you did get sued and a judgment was granted, they can't garnish your wages or levy your bank account.
You need to contact your the court clerks office in the county you resided when you defaulted to see if you were sued. Many have online access.

They can attempt to collect forever but, once the statute of limitation runs out, you have a defense if they try and sue.
Not sure what the SOL is in Ks. Do you still live in Ks.?

bdancer

Your credit probably sucks with all those defaulted and collection accounts showing on your credit report.

You can access your free annual credit report from each credit bureau online thru AnnualCreditReport.com. That way you will see what collection agencies have your defaulted accounts and can work on negotiating settlements. You might even have judgments showing in the public records section of your credit report.

shawnscredit

Can you re-age a SOL time-barred debt, by accepting a PRE-APPROVED offer for a new CC

I have an OLD credit card debt. My credit report lists the date when it may be removed from my credit profile (7 yrs. after last contact), which will be later this year (2014). Being near 7 yrs. old, it is certainly beyond FLORIDA's 4 year Statute Of Limitations to "legally" (successfully) sue on old CC debt. However, if this old CC debt is with "Company X", and now (that I have improved my credit score/ratings) this same "Company X" is mailing me PRE-APPROVED offers. Would I be re-aging, or re-initializing either the SOL or 7 yr. clock by applying or accepting these offers with this same company? Could they re-incorporate, or include the old debt into the new card/credit line, and once I make the first payment, am I re-aging the old debt? PLEASE help, signed, Cautious in Florida.:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">