• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unvalidated debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pierre94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I received a letter from a debt collector demanding payment for an alleged debt, so I sent them a Certified letter which noticed them that their claim is disputed and that I requested validation of the debt per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. I never received a reply. Now I've been summoned to appear in Court by this agency (Cavalry SPV I, as ASSIGNEE of CITIBANK, N.A.)

Can I file a Motion to Dismiss since they did not comply with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act? Or do I need to file an Answer with an Affirmative Defense?

P.S. Why does it read "Consumer Credit Transaction" at the top of the Summons ?!?

tranquility

I received a letter from a debt collector demanding payment for an alleged debt, so I sent them a Certified letter which noticed them that their claim is disputed and that I requested validation of the debt per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. I never received a reply. Now I've been summoned to appear in Court by this agency (Cavalry SPV I, as ASSIGNEE of CITIBANK, N.A.)

Can I file a Motion to Dismiss since they did not comply with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act? Or do I need to file an Answer with an Affirmative Defense?

P.S. Why does it read "Consumer Credit Transaction" at the top of the Summons ?!?
No. They can always sue you. I would look into the rules of disclosure and discovery for the debt you are being sued upon. Game on. No more internet nonsense. Now you must defend yourself.

As a rule, the collection agency I worked at automatically sued debts that were disputed rather than play games. The information you requested will be used as evidence in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">