• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jr32323

What is the name of your state?
North Carolina

I recently bought a home and went to have the electricity turned on. My credit is excellent. Because my fiance had a previous unpaid balance with this electric company and he will be living with me, they refused to turn on my electricity until the balance was paid off. The home is in my name and the electricity is in my name. Is there any recourse? This does not seem legal.

Veronica1228

jr32323 said:
What is the name of your state?
North Carolina

I recently bought a home and went to have the electricity turned on. My credit is excellent. Because my fiance had a previous unpaid balance with this electric company and he will be living with me, they refused to turn on my electricity until the balance was paid off. The home is in my name and the electricity is in my name. Is there any recourse? This does not seem legal.
How did they even know about your fiance if everything is in your name?

jr32323

Because he had called a few weeks ago to see if he could get it in his name which is the first time he found out there was a debt in the first place. I guess they connected the address.

Veronica1228

jr32323 said:
Because he had called a few weeks ago to see if he could get it in his name which is the first time he found out there was a debt in the first place. I guess they connected the address.
In that case it looks like you have no choice but to pay off the debt. If it is very large has your fiance tried to make payment arrangements with them?

jr32323

He paid it off entirely today. But, I'm just leary now of how many other things could come back on me when we are not married and in my mind, this is not my responsibility. A company having issues with someone not paying their debts should follow normal procedures: send notices, contact by phone, collection agencies, etc.. I don't feel it is appopriate for them to withhold electricity from me for his debt when they have not 1. sent notices, 2. contacted someone, or 3. involved a collections agency.

Veronica1228

jr32323 said:
He paid it off entirely today. But, I'm just leary now of how many other things could come back on me when we are not married and in my mind, this is not my responsibility. A company having issues with someone not paying their debts should follow normal procedures: send notices, contact by phone, collection agencies, etc.. I don't feel it is appopriate for them to withhold electricity from me for his debt when they have not 1. sent notices, 2. contacted someone, or 3. involved a collections agency.
Could it be that they did send notices, but your fiance moved?

Ladynred

The problem is, HE is going to be living there and as far as the UTILITY is concerned, they can hold BOTH of you liable for the electric bill. I know that sounds pretty ridiculous, but that's the way many of them handle it. You live there, you use the services, you are responsible to pay too - even if your name isn't on the account directly.

If the debt is unpaid, then you can sure bet they did all the usual thing - sending notices, sending letters, assigning it to a collection agency..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">