• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vacate judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

howard2

What is the name of your state? NJ

Months ago a judgement was entered against me via summary judgement.

I filed a motion to dismiss due to improper service and lack of jurisdiction. That motion was denied and summary judgement by plaintiff was granted.
I then filed motion to vacate judgement. This motion was unoppossed and granted.
Now court wants a new trial. The whole point of motion to vacate was based on improper service and lack of jurisdiction.

My question is: what happens, if at trial, no one apperas? Since niether side asked for a trial. Will the trial be rescheduled?

Thanks for any information you could offfer.....

S

seniorjudge

Q: Months ago a judgement was entered against me via summary judgement. I filed a motion to dismiss due to improper service and lack of jurisdiction. That motion was denied and summary judgement by plaintiff was granted. I then filed motion to vacate judgement. This motion was unoppossed and granted.

A: I hope you plan on going to law school.

Q: Now court wants a new trial.

A: No, YOU want a new trial. That's why you moved to vacate the judgment.

Q: My question is: what happens, if at trial, no one apperas?

A: If the plaintiff does not appear, then you will win again. If you do not appear and the plaintiff appears, you will have a judgment against you.

Q: Since niether side asked for a trial.

A: Again, you won the first skirmish and your prize is a new trial.

Q: Will the trial be rescheduled?

A: Yes, and you better stay on top of it and make sure you show up and do whatever else the court wants. Your doing a great job so far; don't blow it!

I am assuming this is your debtor-creditor case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">