• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacate a Judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luzciouzlipz

New Jersey.

I now have money to pay off an old bill on Discover Card. However, when I looked at my credit report it was put into judgement back in 2003. I never received any information on this going to court.I have received my credit report last year and it wasn't on it. I want to know can I still move to vacate the judgement or is it out of the time frame? Either way I will pay this debt off; however, I do not want this judgement on my credit report. This judgement is not that large of a sum of money and that makes it look really bad. It is for 1892. This will be the last of my debt besides student loans that I have that are in good standing.

Luzciouzlipz

I have been looking for the answer to this all day. I am on the website for NJ Municipal Courts and I see the form for the motion to vacate a judgement; however, I do not see the guidelines or rules governing such.

Please, if anyone knows of any guidelines for the timeframe of requesting a motion to vacate a default judgement please give me any input. It doesn't have to necessarily be for NJ. I just would like to hear similar cases and see what I should do. I just want to be absolved from this debt; however, I don't want to rush into anything.

Last time I tried to quickly relieve myself from debt I regretted it. It was when I agreed to a settlement. I should have just paid the entire sum of money like I was going to do. I tried to call them later to pay the rest of the money and and they wouldn't even take it. Surprisingly....

Anyway, I want to pay this bill; however, I have a judgement entered against me back in 2003. I think it was June. Do I still have legal ground to request a motion to vacate....Please help!

Ladynred

The time limit to challenge a jugment in NJ is 1 year, so you could try, but you could be turned down. However, if you say you were never served with a summons you need to find out EXACTLY what happened. Call the courthouse and ask for a copy of the case file. In there will be a 'proof of service' affidavit that will tell you when, where, how and to whom the lawsuit was served. If the service was truly defective, then you may be allowed to challenge the judgment, even after all this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">