• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verizon Wireless Debt Collection!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hellothere012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Okay so basically ive known that I had a verizon wireless debt collection once i became aware of it when i received a letter. i basically chose to ignore it as i never had a verizon wireless account. however, looking back, i believe my friend might have opened an account in my name and never paid for it. I look on my experian credit report and there is not one indication of a paid payment and they are all late. What is confusing to me is I believe the account was opened in november 2013 but the payment late data starts showing up March 2014. Im confused as to why there is no paid payments during this time period. Anyways my real question, I want to negotiate paying off the balance owed which is about $2000. I'm doing some things and I have to take care of this. Im not interested in trying to sue my friend or trying to get money from him, i just want to payoff the balance. So my question is, can i dispute these payment late and can i ask the collection agency or verizon wireless to remove the whole account from my credit report as it was not my account. I was not aware of it and I have not made a single payment to it. I was wondering what my options were. My credit report is spotless with 0 late payments except for this Verizon Wireless account that i was not responsible for. Let me know how i can negotiate my intended goals and if they are even realistic. In summary, I want to know how to negotiate with the collection agency/verizon wireless on the balance owed and if there is a way to reduce it. I have the cash ready to pay off immediately. I want to be able to clear the account with no record of late payments or the account ever opening because i have not been associated with it except for the social security number(if possible) Thank you for the feedback.

Okay so basically ive known that I had a verizon wireless debt collection once i became aware of it when i received a letter.
When did you receive this letter, and who was it from, and what did it say?

i believe my friend might have opened an account in my name and never paid for it...I want to negotiate paying off the balance owed which is about $2000.
I understand why sometimes it can be worth it to settle rather than fight, but it's not clear to me why you would be willing to pay anything for a Verizon Wireless account that you believe was fraudulently opened in your name - unless you know a lot more about this Verizon Wireless account then you are telling us, or you don't realize that you have options.

First you, should research the FDCPA, the FCRA, and identity theft.

Second, you should contact the credit reporting agencies and contest the account information / debt that has been reported to them as identity theft and fraud because you never opened the account.

Third, you should contact Verizon Wireless and whomever is trying to collect the debt in writing and ask them to validate the debt.

Sheriff10

When did you receive this letter, and who was it from, and what did it say?

I understand why sometimes it can be worth it to settle rather than fight, but it's not clear to me why you would be willing to pay anything for a Verizon Wireless account that you believe was fraudulently opened in your name - unless you know a lot more about this Verizon Wireless account then you are telling us, or you don't realize that you have options.

First you, should research the FDCPA, the FCRA, and identity theft.

Second, you should contact the credit reporting agencies and contest the account information / debt that has been reported to them as identity theft and fraud because you never opened the account.

Third, you should contact Verizon Wireless and whomever is trying to collect the debt in writing and ask them to validate the debt.
Another question: When you filed the police report, did you receive a copy of it? If you are going to use the defense that the account was fraudulently opened, you will need a police report. You DID get one, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">