• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

very old credit card debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MzSadie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
In 2000 I had a credit card and a good job. but lost job. went into depression couldn't pay bills. Well now I am getting a circuit court letter for them to keep the judgment going and put a lean on my belongings. I only have a worn out house and old car. part time job and a husband fight throat cancer. it is no longer on my credit what can I do?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
In 2000 I had a credit card and a good job. but lost job. went into depression couldn't pay bills. Well now I am getting a circuit court letter for them to keep the judgment going and put a lean on my belongings. I only have a worn out house and old car. part time job and a husband fight throat cancer. it is no longer on my credit what can I do?

Is it safe to assume you didn't attend the court hearing? When was it?

single317dad

Judgment renewal is standard procedure. They'll renew their judgment just prior to its expiration. This will allow them to collect the money you owe them should you ever come into money in the future.

Your only options are to either pay the money you owe or never possess enough money for it to be worth their time collecting.

Reto

You can take bankruptcy and it is VERY easy. Don't be ashamed or afraid. My family and I just went through a chapter 7 no asset bankruptcy and we are nowhere in as bad of a situation as you are. If you have no assets or none worth taking a bankruptcy might help you. It only cost us 1,300.00 to have 30K worth of credit card debt and medical debt combined discharged and yes, like you, I received a summons but I filed immediately and didn't wait until a judgement was entered against me. You can file after a judgement, though. Lawyers give free consultations, go talk to one. They might give you a cheaper bankruptcy deal. I know one lawyer who will do one for less than a grand if you are low income and sometimes their prices can be negotiated. I took them a copy of my bank statement and was able to negotiate on a price based on what cash we had available for bankruptcy. If you have no job and no money now.....I'd do this before I did get a job that they could garnish wages from :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">