• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Virginia, Does a Warrant in Debt have to be signed by the clerk,etc?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waldo876

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? (VIRGINIA)

About 5 or 6 years ago, one of my credit cards was stolen and a $400 purchase was made without my consent. I notified the Credit card company when I received my first bill but they would listen. I cancelled the card but I have been called and called since then to the point that I had to change my phone number.

Today, I received a Warrant in Debt from the county that I live in but it was mailed from a locality about 100 miles from here. The Warrant does not have a Date Issued filled in nor does it have the signature of the Clerk, Deputy Clerk or Magistrate on it. The time of the hearing is scheduled for 11:30 on November 24, 2010 ( the day before Thanksgiving ).

I hesitate to call the Clerk's office so I must ask if the Warrant in Debt is valid without the date and a signature.

The amount is about $850 and the state is Virginia.

nkb022684

I would not call the number it could be the company playing games if it was real everything would be filled out

cosine

Look up the phone number for the court clerk's office directly yourself. Call that number to find out if there is a real case and what the date is if there is one. They might also be able to answer the question if the Warrant in Debt is valid without their signature (e.g. they should know if they are supposed to sign it or not). Just don't expect legal advice from the clerk so don't ask for such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">