• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary Garnishment Dismissal... Now i get a letter from the collector i Owe still

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kris62901

What is the name of your state Florida

Hi guys need some advice/Info

I was getting garnished from a attorneys office from my job every check. 7 months pass they take out 300 a check... and all the sudden i received a letter saying Voluntary Dismissal of Garnishment...... which says

Comes now the plantiff, by and through its undersigned attorneys and voluntarily dismisses the garnishment filed herein against the garnishee ( MY COMPANY) without prejucdice any and all funds by the garnishee pursuant to the continuing writ of Garnishment shall be released back to the defendant without further order from the court.

3 months pass by now i got a letter from the attorney saying as you are aware a judgement was entered against you on (date) balanced due and owed (THE AMOUNT$$)

any advice is needed thank you all

side note: I tried to settle with them before but they denied since they had the garnishment already and i explained it was from another family member with a gambling problem

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would advise you to pay the judgment against you as soon as possible. If you want something more specific, then please be more specific with your question.

I was getting garnished from a attorneys office from my job every check. 7 months pass they take out 300 a check... and all the sudden i received a letter saying Voluntary Dismissal of Garnishment...... which says

Comes now the plantiff, by and through its undersigned attorneys and voluntarily dismisses the garnishment filed herein against the garnishee ( MY COMPANY) without prejucdice any and all funds by the garnishee pursuant to the continuing writ of Garnishment shall be released back to the defendant without further order from the court.

3 months pass by now i got a letter from the attorney saying as you are aware a judgement was entered against you on (date) balanced due and owed (THE AMOUNT$$)

side note: I tried to settle with them before but they denied since they had the garnishment already and i explained it was from another family member with a gambling problem

kris62901

I would advise you to pay the judgment against you as soon as possible. If you want something more specific, then please be more specific with your question.
sorry what i am trying to say is. Is it possible for them to voluntarily dismissal of the garnishment then send a letter saying we want it again. I am just confused

latigo

side note: I tried to settle with them before but they denied since they had the garnishment already and i explained
What means "it was from another family member with a gambling problem"?

Are you saying that the same attorney that instigated the prior garnishments is now making demands on for payment of a judgment against a family member?

Or is it the same judgment? And whether so or not, what is your question? What "advise" are you seeking?

justalayman

sorry what i am trying to say is. Is it possible for them to voluntarily dismissal of the garnishment then send a letter saying we want it again. I am just confused
they released the garnishment. They did not forgive the judgment. The garnishment was simply the mechanism used to take money from your check. They stopped that for whatever reason. Did you ask them to maybe?

so, they still have the judgment. They can seek another order to garnish your wages if you fail to pay the judgment.

so, the ball is in your court

kris62901

What means "it was from another family member with a gambling problem"?

Are you saying that the same attorney that instigated the prior garnishments is now making demands on for payment of a judgment against a family member?

Or is it the same judgment? And whether so or not, what is your question? What "advise" are you seeking?

Was just saying the money owed was from me a family member took my social and used it to open a credit card and gambled the amount i never knew till 3 years later when i was getting garnished

kris62901

they released the garnishment. They did not forgive the judgment. The garnishment was simply the mechanism used to take money from your check. They stopped that for whatever reason. Did you ask them to maybe?

so, they still have the judgment. They can seek another order to garnish your wages if you fail to pay the judgment.

so, the ball is in your court
Thank You Sir for the reply and i hope they will accept installments of the payment

justalayman

yes and i didnt notice it till 2013 when i was garnished so they wouldnt accept any dispute
I wouldn't honestly hold out much hope, if any, that you can do anything about this other than to pay the judgment but if the amount of money involved is considerable, it may be worth running it past a lawyer who could review all the pertinent facts.

kris62901

I wouldn't honestly hold out much hope, if any, that you can do anything about this other than to pay the judgment but if the amount of money involved is considerable, it may be worth running it past a lawyer who could review all the pertinent facts.

thank you justalayman you helped alot when you didnt have to thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">