• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkilt28

What is the name of your state?MO

I have a small wage garnishment from unpaid rent. It hasn't started yet. if i were to pay the party even a partial payment and make arrangements for the remaining, can that stop the garnishment proceedings? It is coming from a private party that has made no attempts to personally collect so the garnishment didn't come as a result of my unwillingness to pay, it is coming from the original party not willing to initiate or recipricate contact to make these arrangements.

I don't want to have to pay extra court fees and costs through a garnishment that could have been avoided had she been willing to negotiate from the beginning. It's bad enough I have the initial court costs to pay because she went to court instead of making reasonable attempts to come to an agreement.

****Update****I contacted the former landlord about making payment arrangements and she refused. She says it's not her responsibility to contact me to make the arrangements. I wish all collection people would just sit back and wait for me to call them!!! I reminded her of the letter of intent to make arrangements with a payment that I gave her BEFORE we even went to court.

Last edited:

Ladynred

You can try filing a Motion to Quash the garnishment to stop it. You would then get a hearing in court and if you have a letter that you sent her to try to resolve the problem, you just might win or at least force HER to show up.

nikkilt28

She actually still has the letter in her possession, she showed it to the judge when we went to court. I told the judge, I never denied owing her money but she never once has tried to settle this outside of court. She didn't even have to take us to court for possession of property because she's known since before Christmas that I was leaving and my mom told her she was moving before she filed the papework and that we would both be gone by March 1st.

Instead of settling between us as friends, she has filed frivolous court documents to do everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">