• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage garnishment, Levy against bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrspolee

I live in Lancaster, Ca. I just received court papers showing that LVNV FUNDING is levying my bank account for the money I owe.
The paper work says that I have 10/15 days to file an exempt but on top of the exemption papers it says not for wage garnishment. I am panicing because my payroll check gets direct deposited into this bank and I have other bills to pay. What should I do? Do I cancel my direct deposit. Do I fill out the exemption and financial papers that came with the court papers?

LdiJ

I live in Lancaster, Ca. I just received court papers showing that LVNV FUNDING is levying my bank account for the money I owe.
The paper work says that I have 10/15 days to file an exempt but on top of the exemption papers it says not for wage garnishment. I am panicing because my payroll check gets direct deposited into this bank and I have other bills to pay. What should I do? Do I cancel my direct deposit. Do I fill out the exemption and financial papers that came with the court papers?
Yes, you probably want to cancel your direct deposit for the time being...and yes, you want to fill out the papers that came with the court papers.

adjusterjack

I suspect that your bank account may already have been frozen pending the outcome of the garnishment. You might not be able to do anything with it, though you might be able to cancel future direct deposits with your employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">