• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment on student loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ep2430

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have had wage garnishments come from my paychecks due to unpaid student loans. I have been keeping track of what I have been paying through my paystubs. I was under the impression that the amount settled by the court was the amount I am supposed to be paying. However, I contacted the place taking the garnishments to see my balance, to check to see if the numbers match as to what I believe I owe. They told me a much higher amount, because interest is added. Am I supposed to be paying the amount that was settled in court or should I be paying this amount + interest?

LdiJ

I have had wage garnishments come from my paychecks due to unpaid student loans. I have been keeping track of what I have been paying through my paystubs. I was under the impression that the amount settled by the court was the amount I am supposed to be paying. However, I contacted the place taking the garnishments to see my balance, to check to see if the numbers match as to what I believe I owe. They told me a much higher amount, because interest is added. Am I supposed to be paying the amount that was settled in court or should I be paying this amount + interest?
The amount plus interest.

Just Blue

As you did not pay off your loans the cost of retrieving them has increased.

tranquility

I agree with the other posters.

A person who looks to the future may decide the rules will change. A true advocate may have a person comply with the law and wait to see if those rules change.

ep2430

Alright thank you. I guess I just assumed the amount that was set by the judge was the total due on the account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">