• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment for Student Loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TOBBoston

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello,

I was hoping to get some clarification on an issue my wife is having. She has several lines of Student Loans. She is paying off one of them, and having wage garnishment done for another. And just recently, a third loan has notified her that they are going to begin garnishment proceedings.

I've done some research online, and I've found conflicting information. I have heard that the maximum percentage that can be garnished in our state (Massachusetts) is 15%, and the current garnishment is already at that percentage. But I have also heard that 25% is maximum. So I am confused. What is the maximum percentage that can be done? And is it 15% per garnishment, for 15% in total?

My wife is very upset, and I want to help however I can. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello,

I was hoping to get some clarification on an issue my wife is having. She has several lines of Student Loans. She is paying off one of them, and having wage garnishment done for another. And just recently, a third loan has notified her that they are going to begin garnishment proceedings.

I've done some research online, and I've found conflicting information. I have heard that the maximum percentage that can be garnished in our state (Massachusetts) is 15%, and the current garnishment is already at that percentage. But I have also heard that 25% is maximum. So I am confused. What is the maximum percentage that can be done? And is it 15% per garnishment, for 15% in total?

My wife is very upset, and I want to help however I can. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Your wife will stop being "upset" when she pays back the monies she borrowed for her higher education. :rolleyes:

adjusterjack

It's 15% of gross earnings.

You might have read something that said 25% of net earnings and misunderstood.

Multiple garnishments cannot total more than 15%.

The second lender will have to wait on line until the first lender is paid off.

quincy

I don't believe enough information has been provided to say whether the 15% of gross wages (before taxes and other deductions) being garnished is more than allowed or not. Minimum wage can play a role in determining the maximum amount that can be garnished.

TOBBoston, your wife did not attend one of the Corinthian schools, did she?

TOBBoston

Are we talking government loans here?
Department of Education Loans, yes.

I know the calculation is a bit more complicated than simply 15%; I think it's a choice between the lower of that or 30 times the minimum wage? In her case the 15% would be the lower number.

And no, it was not a Corinthian school, but it is a school that is closing several of its branches due to budget cuts. We looked into that being a possible mitigating factor, but unfortunately it does not apply in her case.

Thank you for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">