• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting to file a bank garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaycareGirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

This summer, I filed a small claims case and received a judgment in my favor (+$400, nothing crazy). I would like to file a garnishment on the person, but am uncertain of the best route.

I like the idea of the bank garnishment and getting it out of the way (plus, a friend's mother in law knows her and told me all about the promotion she received, so I'm fairly confident that the account will cover the debt.) However, I do not know which bank she uses.
Is there an inexpensive way to find this out?
Should I send it to multiple banks and just hope I hit hers (it IS a small town, at least)?
Should I just do the wage garnishment, instead?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

This summer, I filed a small claims case and received a judgment in my favor (+$400, nothing crazy). I would like to file a garnishment on the person, but am uncertain of the best route.

I like the idea of the bank garnishment and getting it out of the way (plus, a friend's mother in law knows her and told me all about the promotion she received, so I'm fairly confident that the account will cover the debt.) However, I do not know which bank she uses.
Should I send it to multiple banks and just hope I hit hers (it IS a small town, at least)?
This should help:

http://smallclaims.fcmcclerk.com/home/court-forms/collecting-a-judgment-in-small-claims-court

adjusterjack

I do not know which bank she uses.
No.

You would have to subpoena her for a debtor's examination which would telegraph your intentions and you'd be chasing her and her banks for months.

Easy fail.

Like scratching your left ear with your right elbow.

Yes.

You know where she works. You know she got a promotion. Wage garnishment gets filed once and the garnishment continues until the judgment and costs are paid. Shouldn't take more than a couple of paychecks for you to get your money. Plus, she won't find out about the wage garnishment until it's done.

No reason to do things the hard way when the easy way is available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">