• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weekly payments to the marshal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgnet2000

What is the name of your state?FL

Hi,

When I was living in New York last year a judgment was won against me. The creditors try to garnish my check in New York but my company rejected it due to child support obligations. I move to Florida a year ago. I call this collection agency because I owe the money and must pay. They don’t want to work with me and I understand they have no obligation to take payments they want full payment. Here is my question. Should I pay no attention to the collection agency and send weekly payments to the marshal instead? The New York Marshals office is full aware of the situation and they know this judgment will never get enforce as long as my salary is garnish by child support or IRS.

Thanks

Chien

Should I pay no attention to the collection agency and send weekly payments to the marshal instead? The New York Marshals office is full aware of the situation and they know this judgment will never get enforce as long as my salary is garnish by child support or IRS.
Don't send funds to the Marshal. If the NY garnishment occurred last year, the chances are very good that the garnishment is no longer active/valid and the Marshal is unlikely to know what to do with the funds or still have authority to receive and forward payments.

It's fine if you want to pay when you're otherwise subject to superior claims. Is that what you want to do or are you somehow attempting to pay less than the judgment? If you're simply trying to pay in installments, try contacting the attorney who sued you and pay to him/her (the collection agency used an attorney; it didn't do it itself). Alternatively, send your payments to the agency, but send guranteed funds (cashiers' check or money order) and mail them certified, RRR. Keep records and copies of each payment. Chances are good that they won't come back. If they don't, contact the agency after a half dozen payments (or whatever) and formalize the arrangement in writing.

mgnet2000

Hi Chien

I try to clear this matter with this people but they are not flexible, I want to pay this
Creditor but they want this money in one payment, $6,000 is too much for me. I’ll send payment in the way you suggested, I hope they take the money. Other ways the won get pay until 2020.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">