• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weird car issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My dad had a Pacer. He tells me that every weekend he had to go through the car and tighten all the bolts that had loosened up - including bolts holding the engine together. That was a weird car.

(Please don't use the "preview" button - it's broken and eats posts)

justalayman

brevity is the best.

try to keep it as brief as possible. Facts and figures are good; emotional issues don't matter.

davew128

My dad had a Pacer. He tells me that every weekend he had to go through the car and tighten all the bolts that had loosened up - including bolts holding the engine together. That was a weird car.
My very first one was a Spirit from the same manufacturer. Lots of fun with sockets keeping it bolted together.

justalayman

come on guys. That was a designed feature. It allowed (caused) regular replacement of parts so it would never wear out. It always had new parts on it and soon to be more new parts added. AMC was years ahead of their competition

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
My first car was supposed to be a Hornet, until my oldest brother let the engine run minus oil and water. I ended up with a 76 Rabbit, instead. :cool:

TXCarQuestion

Are car loans ever considered abandoned?

I bought a brand new car in April of 2005, on a loan. Six months or so later, checks got returned, phone numbers disconnected, the finance company no longer exists. The car has been continuously registered and insured since then. No mail, no phone calls, no repo men, for over 10 years. It didn't even show on my credit report.

A couple weeks ago, it died. Badly. It's not worth the money to repair it, so I want to sell it to a scrap yard for whatever I can get for it. Problem is, a lack of title. It still shows the original defunct lien holder, who never came after me at all...but therefore, I have no clue who holds the title at all.

My question then is, what is my next step to clear this hulk from my driveway? What's my standing in Texas as far as avoiding new liability for a loan well past the 4 year statute of limitations? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

justalayman

A couple weeks ago, it died. Badly. It's not worth the money to repair it, so I want to sell it to a scrap yard for whatever I can get for it. Problem is, a lack of title. It still shows the original defunct lien holder, who never came after me at all...but therefore, I have no clue who holds the title at all.
unless the lien holder took legal action to make claim to the title, you hold title. A lien holder doesn't hold the title (well, they may, physically, in some states but they are not the legal owner of the vehicle because they are a lien holder)

To figure out who you owe all those payments to you would have to chase the dissolution of the lender you borrowed money from and figure out who bought their assets. Once you figure that out you can pay them what you owe them and they will release the lien.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you contact a reputable local privately owned garage, explain the situation and ask them if they wish to have the vehicle, will store it awaiting repair until they can file for a mechanics lien to obtain title, then sell scrap it for profit and full payment. I only suggest this because your circumstances are so unique. At the point they file, anyone having an interest in the vehicle will be contacted and given an option to come forward to claim the amount you would have owed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">