• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What after 'Debt Validation Letter'?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ID Victim

What is the name of your state? AZ

Hi There,
I was contacted by a collection agency sometime in May this year. I was told I had purchased a credit card, charged it certain high amount, and never paid. They had purchased the account from card issuer. Until then, I had run my credit reports once in a while and nowhere did it mention that I had this debt. Reality is that I never had that card. Until then, I didn't know if they were serious about collection or just someone trying to defraud me.
In either case, based on advice on this great forum, I sent them a good debt validation letter asking them to prove the debt - to which they never replied.
I ran the credit history recently, and the debt 'now' appears.

Since I plan to purchase a home soon, I want credit history first taken care of.
What options do I have now? What documents will I need to send to them asking to remove it from my history?
Any help towards that is very much appriciated.
Thank you all very much in advance.

JETX

ID Victim said:
What options do I have now? What documents will I need to send to them asking to remove it from my history?
Any help towards that is very much appriciated.
Thank you all very much in advance.
Pretty simple. Send a copy of your validation letter and proof of delivery (to the debt collector) and a polite 'demand' that they remove the un-validated information.
A good sample can be found at: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter1.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">