• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do When a Creditor Won't Accept Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chien

This casts a whole new light on things and explains much. justalayman is posing the right questions at this point.

When the judgment was entered will tell you if you have time or have lost the right to move to vacate. There is a “judicial disposition in favor of a hearing on the merits”, so courts can be pretty generous when it comes to vacating judgments but, looking back over the thread, I don’t see where it says you actually filed an Answer. I may have just inferred that from you talking about a CMC. Did you file an Answer or have you simply been trying to contact them to make payment arrangements?

If it’s the latter and the suit was filed a year ago, it’s probable that a default was taken more than 180 days ago. You filed a CMC Statement, so it’s not likely that you could argue that you never had notice of service (which could extend your motion time up to two years). If you’re stuck with more than 6 months from date of default, you’ve lost the ability to move to vacate.

If you haven’t lost it, understand that vacating is a two-edged sword. You’ll have to pay to file an Answer (unless you qualify for a fee waiver) and they have the right to fees for opposing your successful motion and starting again from scratch. Even if you are entitled to file, you must consider that.

You don’t say when the account was seized but, when you say that you don’t have the funds and they haven’t taken them, understand that the bank freezes them and gives notice to you (and any third-party claimant with a superior claim). Then the funds are given to the Sheriff, who holds them for 10 days to see if there’s a claim of exemption. If there is no superior claimant and no claim of exemption, the funds are then forwarded to the judgment creditor. It may only be a question of time.

You made the unqualified statement that none of the funds in the account were exempt. Are you sure? Have you actually done a financial work-up of assets and liabilities and know you have no claim of exemption? If the bank account didn’t satisfy the judgment, they’ll try another levy and/or use some other means and you really should familiarize yourself with the extent of your exemptions.

A motion to vacate and/or a claim of exemptions requires that they respond. If they haven’t paid attention to you yet, they have to for those. Frankly, you may be surprised by exemptions to which you're entitled and filing a claim, even if it’s denied, could open the communications you want. A successful claim of exemption, together with an offer to make reasonable payments notwithstanding, is something they’d be stupid to ignore.

Last edited:

The hold was put on our accounts on Feb 3, 2011. Every cent in there was from my earnings as an independent contractor. No soc sec or the like. The money was for our rent & we could still use it as such. It seems it would be too late for a motion to vacate.

Is there a form I can file making the courts aware that I'm attempting to pay on this? I want something on record. Should I start sending payments in? If so, should it be to the law office or their client? I haven't so far, as, I wanted an agreement in place. Right now, since we're not able to write checks, I wouldn't know if they deposited it. I guess, I would mail them a cashier's check certified. This way, if they claim they never received it, the bank would have a record of it & so would the post office.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is there a form I can file making the courts aware that I'm attempting to pay on this?
The court doesn't care.
I want something on record.
That "something" is called a judgement and is already on record.
Should I start sending payments in? If so, should it be to the law office or their client?
It can't hurt...and send it to the attorney.
I haven't so far, as, I wanted an agreement in place.
Not necessary - you've been COURT ORDERED to pay.
Right now, since we're not able to write checks, I wouldn't know if they deposited it. I guess, I would mail them a cashier's check certified. This way, if they claim they never received it, the bank would have a record of it & so would the post office.
Ok

Then, I'll start mailing them payments. Is there a way to stop fees from being added? The amount owed was $1500 less when I was sued last year. At this rate, it will be a long time before it is completely paid off. Or, do they make the total firm, once the person begins paying?

Since they haven't been responding to my letters, etc, thus far, what is my recourse, if, they state they never received payment & because of that, aren't applying it towards the debt? I would have the record from the bank & post office that the certified check was bought & it was mailed. Is there anything else I can have as protection? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then, I'll start mailing them payments. Is there a way to stop fees from being added? The amount owed was $1500 less when I was sued last year. At this rate, it will be a long time before it is completely paid off. Or, do they make the total firm, once the person begins paying?

Since they haven't been responding to my letters, etc, thus far, what is my recourse, if, they state they never received payment & because of that, aren't applying it towards the debt? I would have the record from the bank & post office that the certified check was bought & it was mailed. Is there anything else I can have as protection? Thanks.
Let's be real, YOU aren't the one that needs protection. THEY have done everything they've said they would, whereas you have not been as dependable.

Last edited:
Being as my husband hasn't worked in a year, I work as as an IC, doing customer service from home(I only earn if I receive calls, not just for being logged in), I have health issues, so, I'm currently not able to work outside the home, he has his own health issues, most months I don't make enough to pay the regular expenses(we've cut back as much as we're able), let alone, debts, we're behind on the rent & we were struggling, before, I was sued, it's not lack of dependability, it's not having the funds to pay for this. Though, I've kept contacting them about our situation. One of our friends has recommended getting food stamps & other assistance. Since I'm an IC & my income varies, don't know if I'd qualify.

Chien

OP - Let's go to private messaging if you're willing to provide your name and case number. I'm not confident that you've explored your exemptions and I can reach the law firm's office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">