• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is the lowest settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Evelides

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

What is the lowest settlement a collections agency will take? I heard they will not settle for less than 50% of the debt. Is this true or do they ever settle for less? The balance is $14K, and bankrupcy is a serious consideration at this point. The collections agency is CollectCorp.

Debt Guy

The creditor will make the decision that they believe will result in the greatest value to them.

I've seen settlements as low as 10% -- and as high as 90%. Anywhere between 40% and 60% is fairly common.

If the collection agency is working for another creditor, then they have a set of guidelines from the creditor. Those guidelines tend to be pretty inflexible.

If the collection agency owns the debt themselves, they can do whatever they want -- settle for 1 cent on the dollar or hold out for 100% or anything in between.

This is a sizeable debt. If you are uncomfortable or uncertain, you might want to consider some professional assistance. Either a debtor/creditor attorney or a settlement company could help. Don't pay any money up front to the settlement company. A good one will know what makes sense and should be able to get you a better deal than you can get for yourself.

If you want to email me some particulars, perhaps I could focus the advice a little more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">