• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bradley.M

I have received a letter that my bank records have been subpoena'd. I contacted the attorney whom filed for this. I found out this is from 2007. I had my jaw broken and the person who did it was ordered to pay full restitution. I thought that was all I needed to do. Apparently not, as the debt still exists. Its for about 8,000 dollars. I am looking for advice as to what I should do. Can they take my money from my bank account? I also live in the state of Michigan, and that is where this case is taking place as well.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have received a letter that my bank records have been subpoena'd. I contacted the attorney whom filed for this. I found out this is from 2007. I had my jaw broken and the person who did it was ordered to pay full restitution. I thought that was all I needed to do. Apparently not, as the debt still exists. Its for about 8,000 dollars. I am looking for advice as to what I should do. Can they take my money from my bank account? I also live in the state of Michigan, and that is where this case is taking place as well.
Why would money be taken from you if you were a victim with restitution ordered to be paid to you?

Bradley.M

This is from the doctor who did the reconstructive surgery for me. I am not sure how/if he would know that restitution was ordered.

Zigner

This is from the doctor who did the reconstructive surgery for me. I am not sure how/if he would know that restitution was ordered.
THAT makes more sense. So, what we have is a debt that you incurred that you never paid. Now, there is a judgment against you and the judgment creditor is trying to find out how much money you have to see if it's worth it to go after that money.

Bradley.M

Okay that makes sense. Seeing as restitution was ordered, is there any way for me to get deferred, or any other legal actions I can or should take. This happened so long ago.

Zigner

Okay that makes sense. Seeing as restitution was ordered, is there any way for me to get deferred, or any other legal actions I can or should take. This happened so long ago.
Did you ever collect the restitution that was owed to you?

Bradley.M

I did not, i received a very small check when i was still bed ridden of less then 80$. Other than that I received nothing. was told that was for lost wages.

Zigner

I did not, i received a very small check when i was still bed ridden of less then 80$. Other than that I received nothing. was told that was for lost wages.
You have, at a bare minimum, $8,000 coming to you and you never followed up on it? Incredible.

Also, irrelevant.

You are going to end up paying this, one way or the other. You may be able to claim some exemptions on the money that you have - research that for your state.

Bradley.M

So basically I just need to pay it? I will definitely look into that. I appreciate the help and your time. Thanks you.

Zigner

So basically I just need to pay it? I will definitely look into that. I appreciate the help and your time. Thanks you.
To be fair, there may be an outside chance that there are reasons why you don't need to pay it, but at this point you really have no information. You will want to look up the case information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">