• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do about this toll collection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mina814s

What is the name of your state? NJ

I received a letter from Allied Interstate regarding NY AND NJ PORT AUTHORITY. And it says that I owe an amount of $66. When I called them they told me its because I had 2 toll violations because I didn’t have enough money in my ezpass account. So I told them how come I didn’t get the violations in the mail? They told me that port authority did send you a letter in the mail. But I really didn’t get any. Also I explained to them that the toll booth I pass through doesn’t have a screen or a traffic light that says if the toll was processed or not or even if its low balance. All this Bayonne Bridge ezpass toll booth has is a purple light and it doesn’t do anything it just on all the time. I pass through it everyday. I asked allied interstate what should I do and they said you cannot do anything. Than I hung up and called again I spoke to another person and he said I can file a dispute he gave me a fax number. I wrote a letter and faxed it and I got a fax confirmation from my fax machine that I faxed the documents to them. I called them to check if they received the fax and they said that no way to find out. They said I just have to wait up to 90 days for them to respond.

My questions are

Does this make sense? I cant even find out if they are reviewing my dispute or anything until 90 days or until they respond?

What happens if they report it to my credit history?

I just received this letter does this mean it’s on my credit history?

Debt Guy

You have the right under the FDCPA to dispute the claim. But all the collection agency is going to do is go back to the original creditor and ask if the info is correct.

This may or may not end up on your credit. You might want to pull your credit and check. However, if you were to pay this right away, it is possible that it might not ever hit your credit report. Once on your credit report, it is much harder to get off.

You are responsible for knowing the balance in your account. Warning lights and such are a courtesy. Ultimately, it is your responsibility.

Whether or not violations were mailed is not important. They say they sent it. You say you did not get it. Both statements could be correct. You are not going to win that war.

My advice is to just pay the durn thing and then pay attention to the balance in your account or set it up on automatic draft of something so this does not happen again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">