• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is subrogation ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ergosum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have rented a car while I was visiting family outside California, added my fiancee as an authorized driver. On the last day of our trip, she dropped me off to visit a friend and on her way back to hotel, she got into a fender bender. Totally her fault, we know that. Fortunately, the car she rear ended, sustained no damage but our rental car's front bumper had a big dent and a crack, probably needing to be replaced. All is well so far.

My insurance covered the liability portion (which was nothing as the party she hit had no damage) and my credit card was supposed to cover the collision damage wavier. I talked to the benefits department of CC co. Submitted requested info. 2 months later, my fiancee is getting a call saying if we don't pay, they will suspend her drivers license. And the word subrogation is thrown around liberally in the mostly one sided conversation.

I called my CC co and they have no idea that I submitted the required information. So, the collections thing is real. I started a new claim. But I keep getting these calls in the last 4-5 days to both myself and my fiancee.

What is subrogation ? And are they really able to suspend driver license of hers (or mine for that matter) for a collection of $1500 or so ?

FlyingRon

Subrogation is the other driver's insurance coming after her for the claims they already paid out to their client. Report this to your insurance. If you have liability to cover this, it should.

ergosum

Thank you for the explanation. I am waiting for the claim number from the benefits department of my CC company. I will give it to them once it arrives. Ijust don't want to deal with license suspensions. Can they do that ? I mean, can they suspend drivers licenses for unpaid bills (for the lack of a better term) ? I mean, I know they sent the bill to the collections probably and they are the ones calling my fiancee, but what is their limitation on this collections ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">