• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What types of income can be garnished for medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hooktonfacebook

Oregon state resident. I have huge medical bills that I haven't been able to pay all of in the last five years. I got behind in payments and now all of the bill collectors are hounding me.
All of my debt is medical. My paycheck has already been garnished and I just received another court summons from a different collection agency. I have also been notified I am being laid off at work for an indefinite amount of time. I will not be working when I have to go to court but I will be able to draw about $1200 a month unemployment. My husband is disabled and receives social security disability. I meet the criteria to file bankruptcy. My questions: Can my unemployment be garnished? Is my husbands social security disability benefit exempt? If all income is exempt, do I even need to file bankruptcy? Our only assets are 2 old vehicles and 100 acres of unimproved land that my husband and brother-in-law jointly own.

bigun

Are you going to file a joint bk or, just you filing? Is your name on the deed to the land?
I'd suggest you and your husband have separate bank acounts. SS is exempt from garnishment/levy. I don't believe UE can be garnished at the source but, your bank account can be leived.

New Rule Protects Exempted Funds from Garnishment Orders - FoxBusiness.com

Most bk lawyers give free or lowcost initial consultations. Speak with a couple and get all of your options explained.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">