• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

writ of execution - money judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr mike

Texas: I was in business five years ago and had a yellow page add which SBC. filed a judgement against me { WRIT OF EXECUTION- MONEY JUDGEMENT} What exemptions do I have on property. I am unemployed at this time but hope to have work soon.

THANKS

JETX

mr mike said:
What exemptions do I have on property.
Texas Post-Judgment Asset Exemptions

Homestead: Unlimited. However, property cannot exceed 1 acre in town, village or city, or 100 acres (200 acres for families) elsewhere. Sale proceeds exempt for 6 months after sale. Debtor need not occupy homestead if debtor does not acquire another home. May file a homestead declaration.

Pensions and Retirement Benefits: ERISA-qualified government or church benefits. Funds exempt for county and district employees, firefighters, judges (Keoghs to extent tax-deferred), law enforcement officers' survivors, municipal employees, police officers, state employees and teachers. IRA exemptions for conventional, Roth, SEP and SIMPLE plans. Except for Roth IRAs, IRAs limited to tax-deductible contributions.

Insurance: Life, health, accident or annuity benefits or monies, including policy proceeds and cash values to be paid or rendered to beneficiary or insured. Life insurance present value if beneficiary is debtor or debtor's dependent. Retired public school employees' group insurance. Texas employee uniform group insurance. Texas state college or university employee benefits. Fraternal society benefits. Church plan benefits.

Personal Property: Athletic and sporting equipment, including bicycles. 2 firearms. Home property furnishings, including family heirlooms. Food. Clothing. Jewelry (not to exceed 25% of total exemptions). One two-, three- or four-wheeled motor vehicle per member of family or single adult who holds a driver's license, or who operates vehicle for someone else who does not have a license. 2 horses, mules or donkeys and a saddle, blanket and bridle for each; 12 head of cattle; 60 head of other types of livestock; 120 fowl and pets all up to $30,000 total ($60,000 for head of family). Burial plots. Health aids. $30,000/$60,000 total is reduced by exemptions claimed for tools of trade, unpaid commissions and life insurance cash value.

Tools of Trade: Tools, equipment, apparatus (including boat), motor vehicles, and books used in trade. Farming and ranching implements.

Miscellaneous: Business partnership property.

Wages: Earned but unpaid wages; unpaid commissions up to 75%.

Public Benefits: Unemployment compensation. Workers' compensation. AFDC. Crime victim's compensation. Medical assistance.

Wild Card: None.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">