• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writ of Garnishment came by Certified Mail. Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

broncosfan75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state
Hello, I was mailed a writ of garnishment by a collections company here in Washington. About 2 months ago I got served the papers at my house so I knew this was coming. I had the same thing happen earlier this year by another collections company. I had been going to college and living off my VA disability & VA education benefits so when I got a job this year people are coming out of the wood works to get the money I owe them. The newest company states that with fees and such I owe almost $2,000. I'm not contesting that I don't owe the money. I do. My problem is that I already have $377 taken out each month for child support and with other bills and such I'm tapped the way it is. How can I get the amount they garnish as low as possible? I can't understand all the legal papers that were sent with the letter. I need to respond within 20 days and send a copy to the collections company and the court and a hearing may be scheduled. Am I getting that right? I know I owe the money, but I make $11.15 an hour. They can take up to 25% of that and I'd be toast. Can someone with knowledge of this sort of thing please tell me exactly what I need to do to simply try and get the garnishment amount as low as possible each paycheck? I know I messed up in the past. I raise my hand and admit it. I'm just trying to do good and get what I owe paid off without going bankrupt or living in my car. Thank you very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">