• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X wife Medical Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firedaddy03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va.
Myself and wife at the time separatly owed money to a home med.co.
Mine $62.00. Hers $987- 2003 Med.co. told me ins.covers everything!
We filed for divorce 1/05 whare it states all debts are separate.
11/05- went to court ware a collector's attorney met with me and had me explain my situation. He said forget about it, he would drop it. I was stupid, and should have gotten something in writing.
I asked why they went after me? he said you paid for her ins policy so we had to pick one of you! They have not even asked her for the money ever.
Now there is a judgement on my credit. $ 358.00 They have combined them into one. 10/09/09 collecter said in Va. you can be liable for your spouses med. bills. my x had money then, and has even more now. My understanding is the date starts from last payment made ?
Am I liable?

justalayman

My understanding is the date starts from last payment made ?
Date? Do you mean for the statute of limitations? If so, they are no longer applicable to the original debt. There is now a judgment against you. Haven't looked for the SoL for a judgment.

To argue the SoL, you must present it as an affirmative defense to the suit. It would appear you did not do this and subsequently lost.

btw: you divorce decree means nothing in this situation. An order concerning you and the ex and not including any possible creditor cannot control the creditor or his actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">