• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Your advice would be appreciated Debt over 10 years old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warcraftfan1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Good evening. I received a letter from a debt collection group. It's regarding a Credit Card I had in Florida about 13 years ago. They are giving me a settlement offer. I know this is past the statutes of limitations and in this letter at the end of it they state " The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt. Because of the age of your debt, our client will not sue you for it. In many circumstances , you can renew the debt and start the time period for the filing of a lawsuit against you if you take specific action such as making a written promise to pay. You should determine the effect of any actions you take with respect to this debt "

Are they admitting right there that it is past the statues of limitations?

Should I just send them a certified letter saying something like " This debt is past the statutes of limitations in both Michigan and Florida and I am disputing this debt " ?

Any advice would be great. I know the last payment made on the account would also be 13 years old or more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Good evening. I received a letter from a debt collection group. It's regarding a Credit Card I had in Florida about 13 years ago. They are giving me a settlement offer. I know this is past the statutes of limitations and in this letter at the end of it they state " The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt. Because of the age of your debt, our client will not sue you for it. In many circumstances , you can renew the debt and start the time period for the filing of a lawsuit against you if you take specific action such as making a written promise to pay. You should determine the effect of any actions you take with respect to this debt "

Are they admitting right there that it is past the statues of limitations?

Should I just send them a certified letter saying something like " This debt is past the statutes of limitations in both Michigan and Florida and I am disputing this debt " ?

Any advice would be great. I know the last payment made on the account would also be 13 years old or more.
Yes, they are admitting that it is past the statute of limitations. You are free to ignore the letter entirely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">