• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"zombie" debt collecter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kitten party

You appear to be under the impression that an old debt (6 years for credit cards in Indiana, generally) is somehow "invalid." This is not the case at all.

The expiration of 6 years from the first delinquency would be a defense if you brought it up after the collection company sues you in court. It does not bar the creditor from collecting the debt, and the debt does not "go away" or "become invalid."

If you don't plan on paying this debt, then you do nothing at this time. Nothing you could do right now would help your position of "not paying this." All you can hope for is that 6 years passes before this agency/firm files a lawsuit. If they're sending demands, I would bet that the 6 years is close but hasn't yet passed.

If you do plan to pay the debt, contact them and arrange payment. Tips for negotiation of settlement and payment are in the sticky post on this subforum.
Thank you for taking time to set this straight for me, you have been informative. I think i would prefer to negotiate for both moral reasons and the peace of mind knowing that I have dealt with this. I will read the sticky.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">