• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In CA and need help with state temp disability....please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further, why would these Dr's be motivated not to help a clearly qualifying (for short term disability benefits) patient. Could their practice be frowned upon or penalized indirectly or otherwise by the EDD for too many filings? Are they just that lazy? Are they on the EDD payroll? It just doesn't make sense given my scenario.
I would think someone with a verifiable medical history and job duties like mine could go see any Dr. and say: "Doc, I hurt my knee and can't work what can we do to relieve my pain and will you do your part in helping me obtain short term disability benefits while I can't perform my duties at work?" Nothing mis-leading or over-reacting needed, nothing manipulative and trivial required. Just plain old honesty.
I would have thought any Dr. would and should happily do their part in this case.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So go to your elected representatives and tell them you want a law that says that the patient, and not the doctor, gets the final say on whether he is too disabled to work, and that if the patient wants disability benefits the doctor is legally required to complete the paperwork whether he thinks it's warranted or not.

Think about how a law like that would work. How would it be worded so that someone who just wanted paid time off from work couldn't force a doctor to complete disability paperwork?

And in your state, where disability benefits are provided by the state when not provided by private carriers, how much would that raise your taxes?

In any case, whining on a message board (and whether you acknowledge it or not, that's exactly what you are doing) is not the way to fix the system you claim is broken. Talking to your elected representatives is.

In any case, whining on a message board (and whether you acknowledge it or not, that's exactly what you are doing) is not the way to fix the system you claim is broken. Talking to your elected representatives is.
Are you "the doctor" I speak of?
You have me completely confused. I always thought internet message boards were created for like minded individuals to share advice, discuss experiences, offer opinions, and maybe even sometimes engage in a direct, yet productive debate...no?
They better shut down all internet message boards or re-define their intended use.

By the way, how do I add quotes to my signature?
"Only an absolute fool prides himself on his condescending nature."
"If you define yourself and or your intelligence level by your post count on an internet message board you have issues."

Ladyback1

"How long do you anticipate this short term disability to last?"

Irrelevant!

"What if, after the anticipated time, you are no better?"

Can seek State disability again. Is eligible for up to a year for State disability in California! After that, if he meets eligibility requirements, he can seek SSDI.
Well, "Nell"---my questions did have a point.

I asked those questions because it may be that the OP should seek permanent disability.

Rehab from knee surgery is typically 6-8 weeks. That would be after all non to minimal invasive modalities have been exhausted (usually 6-12 weeks depending on how the MD prescribes and what is prescribed.)

Perhaps the OP should look into retraining for a different vocation, one that isn't as hard on his knees. (oh, and if the OP is overweight? Then he can expect the knee to continue giving him problems, until he loses weight. And yes, Drs. do consider that when making treatment decisions/recommendations. )

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked those questions because it may be that the OP should seek permanent disability.
I do not want to seek permanent disability. I have a long way to go and many other remedies to explore before giving that any thought at all. I believe in the worst case scenario I could train for a "lighter duty" position within my current company in the allotted 52 weeks potentially allowed for short term disability.

(oh, and if the OP is overweight? Then he can expect the knee to continue giving him problems, until he loses weight. And yes, Drs. do consider that when making treatment decisions/recommendations. )
I'm am considered a bit overweight by chart standards, (30lbs) however, I am relatively fit and definitely conditioned to carry the weight. I believe my knee condition stems from a lifetime of athletics and good ole' fashion hard work.

Thanks a bunch Ladyback1
Please see above in bold.

So go to your elected representatives and tell them you want a law that says that the patient, and not the doctor, gets the final say on whether he is too disabled to work, and that if the patient wants disability benefits the doctor is legally required to complete the paperwork whether he thinks it's warranted or not.
Think about how a law like that would work. How would it be worded so that someone who just wanted paid time off from work couldn't force a doctor to complete disability paperwork?
And in your state, where disability benefits are provided by the state when not provided by private carriers, how much would that raise your taxes?
My short answers are quite simple, and as expected apply directly to my case.
"So go to your elected representatives and tell them you want a law that says that the patient, and not the doctor, gets the final say on whether he is too disabled to work, and that if the patient wants disability benefits the doctor is legally required to complete the paperwork whether he thinks it's warranted or not.?"
If X patient has a verified history and diagnosis with X medical condition and his complaint of pain coincides with X condition, and his customary job duties require him to abuse X body part well then isn't it reasonable to believe X patients claim and isn't it also reasonable to believe that he can't perform his work duties? Who would know X patients capabilities better than X patient?
"Think about how a law like that would work. How would it be worded so that someone who just wanted paid time off from work couldn't force a doctor to complete disability paperwork?"
There is always potential for system abuse, just as there is now. But again, so long as there is verifiable medical history to substantiate X claim...well.
"And in your state, where disability benefits are provided by the state when not provided by private carriers, how much would that raise your taxes?"
Probably less per year than the $2,500 its already cost me to be off a week with no pay and no clear resolution in sight.
[/QUOTE]

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So you've got all the answers, fine. Take them to your elected representatives, as indicated. THEY have the means to create the law you want. We do not.

Proserpina

Are you "the doctor" I speak of?
You have me completely confused. I always thought internet message boards were created for like minded individuals to share advice, discuss experiences, offer opinions, and maybe even sometimes engage in a direct, yet productive debate...no?
They better shut down all internet message boards or re-define their intended use.

By the way, how do I add quotes to my signature?
"Only an absolute fool prides himself on his condescending nature."
"If you define yourself and or your intelligence level by your post count on an internet message board you have issues."

You could always look in the mirror. It will help you identify your proposed signature.

My wife and I were sitting here talking and she really seems to think the Dr.'s may be reluctant to help me with my disability filing because of my reluctancy to have surgery should that become their ultimate recommendation for cure.
I can't find anything anywhere on the EDD website that indicates that surgery is a requirement to receive or continue receiving short term disability benefits.
What's your thoughts on this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My wife and I were sitting here talking and she really seems to think the Dr.'s may be reluctant to help me with my disability filing because of my reluctancy to have surgery should that become their ultimate recommendation for cure.
I can't find anything anywhere on the EDD website that indicates that surgery is a requirement to receive or continue receiving short term disability benefits.
The EDD wouldn't have anything on their site about that.

There is no law anywhere making it a requirement that you have surgery even though you may need it! Some people are hyper sensitive to the fact that sometimes surgery makes the problem worse and therefore, surgery would be a last resort.

I"m sure that it is easier than you think, to find a PCP in which you can establish a very good relationship with and who would put you off work, if it was warranted. It just takes a bit of perserverance.

The EDD wouldn't have anything on their site about that.
There is no law anywhere making it a requirement that you have surgery even though you may need it! Some people are hyper sensitive to the fact that sometimes surgery makes the problem worse and therefore, surgery would be a last resort.

I"m sure that it is easier than you think, to find a PCP in which you can establish a very good relationship with and who would put you off work, if it was warranted. It just takes a bit of perserverance.
Do you think I should see another orthopedist or another primary care physician?
At this point...I am so angry with both that I've seen (ortho & PCP) that I don't want to work with either moving forward so I will need to seek a new ortho to have my injection treatments and physical therapy at some point. The problem is would another ortho want his own MRI or would he be fine with the one I have on disk from the other ortho? I ask because I don't want to do anything that may delay my disability filing any longer. Your thoughts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's going to be up to the ortho. There's no way for us to guess what an unknown doctor will or will not want to do. It's not a black and white, all doctors will want to do their own MRI/all doctors will accept the one you already have. Some will do it one way, some the other. Your guess is as good as ours here.

That's going to be up to the ortho. There's no way for us to guess what an unknown doctor will or will not want to do. It's not a black and white, all doctors will want to do their own MRI/all doctors will accept the one you already have. Some will do it one way, some the other. Your guess is as good as ours here.
You're right....there is definitely no black and white here.
I'm just not real sure of what to do next and looking for opinions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's entirely up to you. You can call another doctor, who may or may not be willing to fill out the disability paperwork, or you can NOT call another doctor and continue working. I don't know what other options you think there may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">