• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can The Hartford take my SSDI Back Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blesdbyfth

I am in Florida. Have been getting LTD payments from The Hartford and now that I have been approved by Social Security, The Hartford says I owe all my back pay to them as it is considered and overpayment. Can this be true?? I have seen so much negative commenting about The Hartford on other sites. I paid into SS and paid my LTD insurance premiums....the money is mine. Please help!

ShyCat

The social security offset is a common clause in LTD policies. The effect is that if the LTD benefit was, for example, $1000 per month, and you then become eligible for SSDI benefit of $750 per month, the LTD policy would then begin paying only the difference of $250. This applies to the back pay also.

LTD policies without this clause have much higher premiums.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">