• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra extension and disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fulltimer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I was laid off from a company in Dec. 08 (this is a company wide seasonal lay off to begin back to work in Jan 09). During that time I found another job, because my first job had moved 400 miles away from where I live. Therfore, I terminated with the first company. I am currently with the new company, but finding it more difficult to do my job. I have terminal cancer (diagnosed June 06) prostate with bone mets. I am on COBRA from first company which started on 1-1-09. I am not eligible for insurance with new company until August. I am considering going on disablilty, because of the cancer. Would I be able to get an extension of the COBRA after the first 18 months, which will expire in June 10. Thank you.:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I assume you are talking about Social Security Disabilty benefits?

If you had applied for SSDI within the first 60 days of your COBRA, you would have been eligible for an 11 month extention.

Employee Benefits Security Administration - Health Benefits Advisor

Where you did not apply within the first 60 days, it will be up to your former employer whether to grant you an extension.

If an extension is vitally important, and it is physically possible for you to do so, it might be worth your while to hold off until you have qualified for and enrolled in the insurance plan of your new policy; resign (I assume that's what you mean) shortly thereafter and apply for SSDI before the end of your first 60 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">