• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concernced son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acroyer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

My Dad was recently terminated by his company because he exceeded the time for his sick/family leave due to cancer and the chemotherapy he is going through.

He was paying for his medical coverage with the company during the entire time and receiving excellent benefits.

He knew what was necessary to keep the medical coverage if he was terminated and paid his premiums on time and in full for the increased cost after his termination. Suddenly now they have denied him access to his medical care although he was keeping the necessary monetary obligations to the medical insurance company. He is 66 years old. Is this legal? If I have not given enough information let me know.

Thank you for any help.

njjean

Cobra

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Health Plans & Benefits - Continuation of Health Coverage – COBRA

Are you sure your father was making payments to the INSURANCE co.? COBRA is the federal law regarding continuation of health insurance. (link above) Payments are typically made to the employer, and they pay the health insurance company. COBRA extends coverage after employment ends for up to 18 months, with some exceptions (refer to linked page above)

Did the insurance company say his insurance was cancelled for non-payment? If so, it would appear that the employer stopped making payments. If you find that is the case, I would suggest contacting the Dept. of Labor at 1-866-487-2365 for assistance.

acroyer

Thank you for the great reply.

I researched Cobra a little more. As I get more facts I will post in this thread. He has sent an email to his previous employer inquiring as to what happened.

More to come on this one!

I sincerely appreciate the response!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">