• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beachgrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I recently had surgery on my left foot, a peroneal brevis tendon reconstruction 8/06/09. This has been an ongoing problem since February 09 to find out what the source of my pain was. Anyway, long story short I have applied and been denied Short-Term-Disability,due to the reason given was that I was not working the full 32hrs/week. I was on sit-down duty only from 4-09-7/09, and was told by my HR director that they could accomadate me, but only 20hrs/week. My? is this what recourse do I have? I have had absolutely no income since 7/01/09. Shouldn't the HR director know his job, can I go after my Employer/Company?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the rules of the policy say that you have to be working 32 hours a week, and you are only working 20 hours a week, you are not eligible for the benefit. This is not a question of the HR manager not knowing his job - this is a question of your not qualifying. No, you have no recourse and you cannot "go after" anyone because you do not qualify for benefits under the plan rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">