• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability/Self Employed/Accountant claimed 0$, can't get disability!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seemural

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Hi, Last fall, I was diagnosed with a rare medical condition. A few weeks later, I had a stroke because my cervical spine moves too much and it compressed the arteries to my brain. So- I had to have a surgery to fuse C1,C2 together, and place screws in. My drs told me to file permanent disability. When I applied, the SS office told me that because my accountant had not claimed any income for me for the last 7 yrs, since I was self employed. The accountant just showed a 'break even' or a 'loss' every year and did not have me pay in. So- now I am not eligible for any benefits. For a few yrs prior to that I was a stay at home mom, but did some part time work at a restaurant, and then had prior employment and did earn some points for SS during that time.
So now they say, between my husband making 'too much' which is about 48thous (fam of 4) and my work situation, I don't qualify. Is this something I should have a lawyer look into, or is am I truly one of the "yep, you're screwed" people who really don't qualify?
My family has lots of medical issues and it is hard to find a moment where we have good enough health, or abilities to just make it to the grocery store, so I'm worried that I'll use up precious energy to get a lawyer and go thru the whole process just to be denied again. any thoughts? Thanks

pattytx

If you don't have the requisite SS wages to qualify for disability benefits, you don't have them. Did you pay the full SE income (15.3%) on your income as an IC?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">