• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability tangled web

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatorleite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. My husband is collecting disability insurance from Hartford Insurance company for a longterm permanent disability. At the time of the disability our daughters were under the age of 18. Within the disability pamphlet they gave him it states that any minor child who is eligible for social security and collects on it then the money would become Hartfords. The girls are now past the age of 18 and are in college. Social Security denied the claim for the first 1 1/2 years but then accepted it. We now get a check each month from SS and a check from Hartford. Hartford asked my husband to apply for SS on behalf of the girls which he did. Social Security has sent a check to Cassie directly stating that they believed it was in her best interest to recieve the money directly (they are aware of Hartford taking the $47,000 that Malcolm and I recieved for ourselves last year.) My husband and I are in a bad financial way and can no longer help our daughters financially through college. If Cassie gives us this money to give to Hartford she will have to pay the taxes on it even though she actually will get to keep none of the money. My question is Do the girls legally have to turn over the money. And what can/will Hartford do to us and/or the girls if they dont recieve that money? Other than stop our payments (which they have already done anyway).

tranquility

I would say no, based on *your* posted facts, but see an attorney. He won't charge that much for a consultation and you can be sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">