• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Metlife Income Replacment Short Term Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladykiki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I am applying for FMLA & STD. I have 3 questions.

1. SHORT TERM DISABILITY QUESTION: Is an employer required to submit this paperwork or does the employee have the option to submit the claim?

2. SHORT TERM DISABILITY QUESTION: Is the employer violating a law by requiring that the employee and physician to complete and sign the claim form when the employers section has not been completed?

DETAILS:
• The [5 page] claim form was sent to me with the section "to be filled out by employer" [page 1 of 5] incomplete. The only information that they provided was the name of the company & address, HR assistant’s name and phone #. So.... all of the information regarding earnings is missing. I took the claim form to my doctor's office and expressed concern to the RN over completing & signing this document though I have no idea if page one will be completed correctly or if the claim will even be submitted within the allotted time period. The RN was under the impression that we (my doctor and I) would submit this claim ourselves. This company and it's executives are known for "accidentally" & "unintentionally" giving employees a hard time.

• The RN called the HR contact person to request that she send the completed first page so that we could submit. The HR person said it was intentionally left blank because they will submit the claim. My nurse let her know that we would be submitting and the HR person just repeated herself.... WE will complete and submit once the employee and Dr. have done their part...

• The RN notified me today of the conversation and wants me to discuss with the Dr. this afternoon. She was concerned if we did not do as the employer stated, the claim would surely be delayed and result in a denial based on a late submit.

3. FMLA PAPERWORK QUESTION: If my employer did not record my actual job title or my essential job functions and did not attach my job description to the FMLA form can I request that they do so or does it even matter at this early stage? (I fear this is to create a loop hole so that when I return to work "the same or equivalent job" will be questionable and they will create a position that is far from equivalent)

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FMLA and STD are two separate things, with different rules, different eligibilty requirements, and different purposes. FMLA is leave. STD is income replacement.

The answers will not be the same for FMLA as for STD. Please specify which of the two we are referring to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) The law does not address that issue. It's entirely between you and your employer.

2.) No, not at all. It's quite common for the sections to be completed separately and all mailed in together by the employer.

3.) It does not matter at this stage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">