• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going from STD to LTD. Some questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nuts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH, but my employer's main office in in NJ.
I am presently on STD for an emotional disability and it appears I'll be surpassing the 6 months of STD my employer allows. Therefore, I assume I'll be making the transition to LTD. I paid for the additional upgrades to STD (70%) and LTD (60%).
Some questions.
1) It's a large company and my employer has been gracious enough to pay my health insurance for the first 6 months. I have been paying the additional employees contribution as I was while working and collecting a normal salary. When I transition to LTD, I assume my employer will no longer cover this. Will I then be eligible for COBRA benefits?
2) If the 65% federal contribution for COBRA is reinstated for the those on unemployment, will those on LTD, me included, be able to take advantage of this federal benefit?
3) I have been on STD for more than four months. I believe that at anytime my employer will, and can, I suppose, fire me. I assume me STD and then my LTD will continue. Is this correct?
4) When my LTD runs out or is no longer supported by my physician, what is the best way to prepare for unemployment insurance, if at all?
5) Finally, although the STD insurance company, which is the same as the LTD,has, so far approved my claim, they have made my doctor and I do handstands to get these--monthly (even though my MD has written me up for a year)--approvals. Are there any general assumptions or warnings I should take to heart as I proceed?
I know this is a lengthy list of questions and I appreciate any and all answers provided. And, hey, I'm nuts, anyway.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Yes.

2.) Without seeing the terms of the hypothetical potential reinstatement, and not knowing under what terms a reinstatement might pass, the best anyone can say is maybe. When and if such a reinstatement is passed, it will be time enough then to see who is eligible and whether or not such eligibility is retroactive.

3.) If that's what your STD and LTD policies say, yes. Not having read them, I can't give you a stone-clad guarantee. I can tell you that in 30+ years of administering employer sponsored group benefits, I have never seen and only once heard of a plan where disability benefits end when employment does, so the overwhelming likelihood is that your assumption IS correct. Without reading the plan, however, I can't say for certain.

4.) To contact the UI office, file a claim, and tell them what happened.

5.) You can generally assume that everything you have described, including the handstands, is quite standard and does not imply that there is any funny business going on.

Nuts

cbg,
Just a quick note of thanks for your help. It was extremely informative and helpful.
-nuts

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">