• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HealthCare/Disability Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gthang12

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi, (

My mom has been out of work since Feburary due to health issues. Her employer has her on "medical leave" and had her sign a paper stating that the company would still provide her healthcare insurance for up to one year as long as she paid the deductions out of pocket that they take from her pay check, then after that year, she would have to start paying for cobra.

Now my mom was approved for Short term Disability and has exhausted that so now the company stated that she has to fill out the paperwork for Long term Disability. We are awating for approval but my question is should she not get approved (I just want to plan ahead in case that were to happen) will her company still provide her healthcare insurance for her as I mentioned above?

Thanks for any responses ahead of time...

Mrs3

Disclaimer - I do not specifically know Illinois law etc.

will her company still provide her healthcare insurance for her as I mentioned above?

You do need to go over her policy documents and contact the HR of the company to get the right answer. Each company may have a different policy regarding coverage and/or reimbursement of Cobra premiums.

For example, my company paid for the Cobra benefits as long as I was receiving Long Term Disability Benefits. Once I qualified for SSDI and Medicare the company no longer was obligated to pay the Cobra premiums. Your company seems to be saying that it will pay the premiums for a year regardless which is, in my experience, generous.

But again, this can only be answered by contacting the HR rep and getting a copy of all the company policy and plans (you should have a packet from the date of hire).

Good luck and keep records of everything!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">