• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!! SSDI and new marriage/new baby question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueSunGal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? We live in Oregon.

My fiance receives $1320 per month in SSDI payments. He has MS and is 53 years old. He is not currently working due to his illness.

I'm 40 and don't receive any benefits. I work part-time and have a 10-year-old son from a previous marriage. My fiance and I have a baby on the way and plan to marry this fall.

My question is pretty simple:

Will his SSDI payment change after we are marry AND after baby is born? If so, will it increase or lower?

Again this is SSDI and is based on his past earnings and not the "needs-based" program.

Thank you! We really need to be aware and prepared for any abrupt changes in this income..especially with a baby on the way, since I won't work for about a month.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

I think y'all need to go to the local Social Security office and ask them.

The people there tend to talk in code, so politely ask for explanations till you understand it.

If possible, get something in writing.

lya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? We live in Oregon.

My fiance receives $1320 per month in SSDI payments. He has MS and is 53 years old. He is not currently working due to his illness.

I'm 40 and don't receive any benefits. I work part-time and have a 10-year-old son from a previous marriage. My fiance and I have a baby on the way and plan to marry this fall.

My question is pretty simple:

Will his SSDI payment change after we are marry AND after baby is born? If so, will it increase or lower?

Again this is SSDI and is based on his past earnings and not the "needs-based" program.

Thank you! We really need to be aware and prepared for any abrupt changes in this income..especially with a baby on the way, since I won't work for about a month.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
His SSDI benefits will not change because of marrying or because of having additional children.

The baby will qualify for benefits from the dependent/family part of his SSDI. Dependent/family benefits are set at X amount of dollars and divided among the children; so, if he has children already receiving SSDI benefits, their benefits will be reduced. A reduction in other children's benefits could lead to legal problems if the benefit amount drops below court-ordered child support.

All of the information you requested and more is available online in the SSA 2008 Red Book.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">