• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Advice - Chronic Illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mallards

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I am lost and could really use some sound advice. I have recently become pretty ill - still able to work; but unknown for how long. I am currently undergoing tests for Lupus (which I am 99.9% certain this is what I have) otherwise it could be MS.

Anyway, I am a single male; support myself and I really have no family. My parents passed away several years ago. I have a brother and Niece and Nephew who live 2,000 miles from me but that is all the family I have.

I am concerned that I will lose the ability to work and therefore lose my health insurance. I know I can opt for COBRA, but without income, I will not be able to afford it. I do not have money to provide for my health care or long term care. If I go on disability how much compensation would I typically get? Do they then provide health insurance for me? What about long term care?

I am currently trying to get a long term care policy but they are very expensive. How much would I need? I've looked into $300/day. Very costly. I expect to get a diagnosis from my Dr. in a couple of weeks. I am 44 years old. Will this make me ineligible for long term care insurance if I get a diagnosis before I get the policy in effect?

I only have $100k in life insurance. I would like to be able to pay my bills and leave a little for my niece and nephew. I've thought about increasing my life insurance in lieu of the long term care insurance. This would help pay my bills and hopefully leave a little for them. Again, i don't know how long that will take and if I get the diagnosis first, will that make me ineligible?

Thanks for any advice.

ShyCat

If I go on disability how much compensation would I typically get?
We have absolutely no way of knowing. If you're talking about Social Security Disability Income, look at your most recent Social Security Statement. It will provide your estimated disability benefits if, as it says, "you have earned enough credits to qualify for benefits". If you haven't, then SSDI benefit is zero. If you have an individual or employer group disability policy, you will have to check with them.

Do they then provide health insurance for me? What about long term care?
Not clear who "they" are, so the answer is "check with them". Social Security has a very informative website at Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am currently trying to get a long term care policy but they are very expensive. How much would I need?
This is a legal advice website, not a financial planning website.

Will this make me ineligible for long term care insurance if I get a diagnosis before I get the policy in effect?
Probably. That's up to the long term care insurance company.

Again, i don't know how long that will take and if I get the diagnosis first, will that make me ineligible?
Maybe. That's up to the life insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">