• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of Exclusions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marchionni

I have serious lower back problems which my doctors have determined qualify me for disability. I just reviewed my Unum Disability Insurance policy that I have been paying into for over 10 years. It is an expensive "own occupation" policy ($200+ per month). In reading it I noticed an "Exclusion Rider" that disqualifies any benefits related to back disorders. I guess at the time I signed up ten years ago I didn't notice it. I did disclose back problems back then but have never missed any work as a result in past ten years or ever.
My question is: Can this Exclusion be challenged in court or since it is there and I signed it, there is no real chance to fight it regardless of how unfair it appears to be?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">