• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Term Disability Benefits denied by Unum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lanay

Houston, TX

I was on STD due to complications of diabetes while pregnant. Still was really sick after pregnancy with, sugar level still elavating, hemorroids, body aches, fatigue, dizziness, depression. I started treatment for the hemorroids but, not for anything else because they could not figure out what was going on. By this time the STD was exhausted. Well Unum sent me one check and said they called my doctor and she said it was ok to go back to work, that wasn't true, my doctor said she didn't say that. My other doctor diagnosed me with chronic fibromyalgia, post pardum depression and borderline diabetes and it's only borderline because i maintained my diet from when i was pregnant. My doctor has me off until he re-evaluates me 12/27/09. I'm on meds and get therapy. Unum states that they are not going to pay me because i can work. I have a 4 month old, i am single with no help. I can barely get out the bed to take my 7yr old to school, i can't afford to get my meds or see a psychotherapist, doctor gave me samples. I am going crazy, i am really hurting and depressed, can't function.

I sit down about 90% of the time at work. I have 5 areas in my back that are inflammed from the fibromyalgia, you can literally feel the knots in my back. But, since the MRI was ok, the claims rep said i'm ok. They must not have very much knowledge because fibromyalgia is not going to show up on an MRI not to mention the medium size cyst that's in my kidney that showed up on the MRI, which is making my pain worst. Not to mention my post pardum depression. I have a 4 month old and 7yr old i have to take care of and somedays i can't get out the bed. My 7yr old has gotten perfect attendance every 6 weeks but, now he has missed about 4 days. I can only sit for about an hour then i start hurting really bad and now the pain has radiated down my legs, so now i hurt all over. I am getting worse, i have no money to by meds, see my doctor, go to my chiropractor or a psychotherapist.

I don't know what to do, i am about to get put out of the apartment i just moved in because i have no money and barely any food. Now, tell me, why would i go through all of this for a disability check. If i could go back to work i could, Unum didn't even give the meds the doctor gave me a chance to start working. Unum really suck!!!

LAWMED

Disability insurance companies routinely deny claims hoping the insured will give up and go away, while they know the claim is valid. It is a routine game with them, and all of them play it. Simply have your physician write them a letter which states you are medically disabled from performing the essential duties of your occupation. Also write them a letter formally appealing their decision based on the fact your treating physicians have medically prohibited you from returning to work. Make sure they have all of your medical records from each of the physicians.

It can take steady effort on your part but you need to prove to them you are not going anywhere and will fight for your benefits. Of course you can also hire an attorney experienced in this area. A good disability attorney can get results in a short amount of time since the insurance company will not play the same games with him/her.

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">