• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Term Disability Overpayment Appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greekgranny

What is the name of your state (Minnesota)

The Hartford my previous employer, without warning, reduced my benefit by $1000 a month recently, stating that I had a $40,000 overpayment as the result of SSD Approval. Although I understand that there is a requirement to report other income, I have always furnished Hartford with all requests. There has always been an Authorization form on file allowing Hartford to contact SSA. Generally, standard operating procedure if data is not forthcoming, the Claims Examiner contacts you by formal letter and or telephone. After a short time, benefits are interrupted. None of this was done. There was no contact other than Hartford forwarding me standard annual forms to sign each year: Authorization Form, Other Income, Claimant Q&A.

In the meantime, I am completely wheelchair bound and over the past several years, among other conditions, was attending wound care 3X a week in an effort to save my Right Lower Limb. The pain and complications were torture and I have been on pain Rx for many years for several conditions. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Wounds, No Right Hip at all, and many other conditions. Safe to say, I have not always been at the top of my Disability ball game However, I was not given the opportunity to correct this building overpayment 2-3 years ago when it began, as there was no followup with my claim. Several examiners have been assigned to my claim and no one did a thourogh followup until this fall when the 24 month review had to be completed!

I am not sure where to go from here, I have few personal resources to pay an attorney; still, if I lost My LTD check, I would be literally destitute. The examiner included appeal language in the last communication and I truly believe that this large overpayment is not a self made mistake.

I would welcome any guidance regarding this situation and where I might go for assistance to seek an amicable and fair resolution to this issue.

Thanks for the Assistance.

GreekGranny

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">