• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LTD question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjenglund

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota. When I was working my employer provided Short term disability insurance and we could purchase LTD insurance to cover 50- 60% of our pay. I purchased the 50% plan and paid all my premiums. No where did it say in any information we were given at the time when we made our choices yearly did they say that if you got disabled and they were paying the 50% of your pay that if you qualified for ss disability that they would take that amount off of what they pay me. I don't understand how other income that I qualify for that is not from my employer is able to be counted towards the 50% amount of my yearly salary that I made at the time of disability. Can they do this if we were never told about it at the time of purchase or why would we have paid them for the insurance. Do I have any rights to fight them. After 4-1/2 years I just found out I am finally going to get my ss disability. So now they want any back pay I get and any my kids get and they will stop paying the claim to me as the amount of my monthy ss will be about the same as what they are paying me now.

ShyCat

The SSDI offset provision is quite common in LTD policies. Any LTD policy without such a provision would require much higher premiums to compensate for the additional long term financial risk. The provision will be detailed in the policy itself; it doesn't matter if you didn't read it before signing up for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">