• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nursing Home/rehab Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink11464

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm not sure if I am in the correct area of this forum. My father-in-law has been in a nursing home/rehab for the past year - - at the time he was admitted I was not working and the only family member able to sign him in. I specifically asked if by signing this paperwork admitting him, would I be held financially responsible for any of these bills as I have no money. They said no - he has medicare and then they would sign him up for government aid (my in-laws are in their 70's and have a combined income of $900 on SS).

My husband pays most of their household bills because they can't make ends meet - and we don't have the money they're talking about. The house they live in - my husband bought 20 years ago when he brought hs mother from Jamaica - it's in my husband's name and my mother-in-laws name. We don't even own our OWN home.

Yesterday I received a letter from a law firm (i think it's more of a debt collection service as I can't find any info on this "lawyer" anywhere). They want $34k + from me. They sent the same letter to my mother-in-law. I called the nursing home furious. I asked if this was what they do - tell people one thing and do another - - they said they need his bank account info (where his SS is direct deposit) and they will call the "Lawyer" and have these letters expunged.

The woman was trying to tell me how they are trying to keep him in there but based on not having the bank statement he would be released by March 1st and have to pay $34,000+. release him - they aren't doing anything more for him than he would have at home. He sits in a chair there.

What is my recourse if any? Thank you in advance for your help as always!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

commentator

Do not panic. The nursing facilities have daily contact with Medicare and Medicaid billing. They know exactly what things cost, and exactly what Medicare will pay for. They know they're not going to get this kind of money out of family members, nor are family members responsible for the nursing home and rehab care costs of indigent older family members. Is it possible that you were given this information about Medicaid when you signed him in and have not followed through with it? That is what happened when I signed my parent into a rehab care facility. They gave me the information and I had to make an appointment with my county human services worker to get her certified for Medicaid.

What you will probably have to do is sign your father up for Medicaid in your state as well as his Medicare, and they will take the lead in paying for everything not covered by Medicare. Get those bank statements to whomever they are needed by. Work with the rehab facility social workers, do the provision of information and signing up of your father for assistance if they recommend it.

Last edited:

Tink11464

Hi - Thank you - unfortunately there are so many family members with their hands in this that it's crazy. Examples are: when he fell while going to do his own laundry and broke his wrist - they called a granddaughter (not me or my mother-in-law who were the primary #'s) we didn't find out until 2 hours later than a 1 legged man going to do his own laundry fell and broke his wrist. Or how on Thanksgiving family members went and picked him up to take him to eat and the nursing home called me looking for him (2 hours after they picked him up). One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

In November - after the Thanksgiving fiasco is when I said enough! I said I'm done - call my husband only - - JUST CALL ONE PERSON - so for all the time prior to that I thought everything was fine. We filled out the welfare forms (or medicaid - whatever they call it), submitted his ss card, passport, etc... Apparently they needed bank info - no one ever called for it - - no one mentioned it during visits (he's 2 blocks away). Now yesterday I'm told the debt will be expunged if I bring that bank info in - - now I just called the nursing home telling them I will be there after work with that info and she said she's not sure what they can do about the letter - it'll take 2-3 weeks to know the outcome as to who will cover that bill?? Seriously??? I'm ready to call a news station - - what is going on?

I am very upset by this - my husband says they will now put a lien on the house that's in his and his mother's name (because the nursing home said even though my fatherinlaw's name isn't on it - because they are married it's his too). My husband had NEVER lived in that house - but has helped pay their bills for 20 yrs. My father-in-law has contributed $200 a month for 20 years and now the house is his too? Ugh. Thank you for any and all advice as always!! LISA

commentator

Honestly, I think you need to get the information needed to them and chill for a while. I think the letter from the lawyer was a bluff. I doubt very seriously if they will put a lien on your house right away. You're panicked, no doubt about it, but you might mention to the nursing facility that you're about to call your congressperson and you're about to call the local news station. I bet they'll do their best to calm you. Make sure you're doing what you can do get the needed information to them. Yes, sure it will take a while to get the bills covered, but if it's in the process, what would be the advantage in their pushing through with a collection/enforcement process that's going to cost them, be lots of trouble and won't get the bill paid in full in the long run anyway?

Last edited:

Tink11464

Thank You Commentator!! You're absolutely right - I do need to chill. They will have that statement tonight - and hopefully that will be it. I mean a year later and we're just hearing this! I'll be patient for the next few week s- but I'll definitely let them know I will be making a few calls of my own. Thanks again!

tmoore98

First of all, it sounds like you have two separate issues, 1 being the care the nursing facility is providing to your father in law and 2 being the financial responsibility for him being in the nursing facility.

The first is and must remain separate from the second. Speak with the administrator and or Director of Nursing (DON) regarding the care issues and see to it they are corrected.

The second is financial responsibility. When your father in law was admitted over a year ago, he probably was admitted with Medicare as the primary payer. Medicare only covers up to 100 days in a skilled facility. After Medicare benefits are either exhausted or he no longer is receiving a skilled service, another payer is needed. This is either private pay, medicaid or nursing home insurance. Someone would have needed to sign a form from the nursing home when his Medicare benefits were no longer being used. At this time it should have been explained what the next option for payment was going to be IF you father in law was going to remain in the facility.

It appears to be Medicaid. In order for him to qualify, a meeting with the medicaid office along with a list of paperwork, including the bank statements would be necessary to demonstrate a financial need. If no one attended a meeting or mailed in the appropriate paperwork, he has not been qualified. What this means at this point is the care being provided to your father in law has not been paid for by anyone. Is it possible the nursing facility has been communicating with your mother in law (is she listed as the financial contact?)?

Someone take responsibility for this ASAP as the nursing facility only has so long it can go back and bill medicaid for those services. Otherwise, yes, the wife/your mother in law will be held accountable for paying for his care.

You and your husband would only be held responsible if you transferred assets from your in laws to you within the last 5 years to avoid paying privately for care.

Good luck and as I said, meet with the facility ASAP and get the information needed to the Medicaid office or the facility who may send it in on your behalf. You will receive a notice from the Medicaid office of the date for the appointment, someone must attend. If from the meeting more information is needed you will be given a reasonable amount of time to gather this information. Keep in mind, the clock is ticking since this started over a year ago. If Medicaid approves him they can go back a certain period of time to cover his expenses. You must move quickly to minimize the potential for your mother in law to pay privately as he could be denied by Medicaid for a period of time due to untimely filing. Then the facility has every right to collect from your mother in law for those expenses.

Thank you and good luck.

Tink11464

Hi tmoore98 - thank you!

I understood the 100 days on the medicare - then they had me complete the application for the medicaid/welfare (again making sure I am not responsible - just doing this because no one else would). That's when they needed his ss card, passport, etc... (never asked for bank statement then). Oh yhea they also asked for the deed to the house - which THEY went and got from the county (my husband said he wasn't giving them the deed - he doesn't agree with the fact that because they are married that it's the step-fathers house too - the man has only contributed $200 a month for the past 20 years - the bills for the house are at least $1500/mth - if you include taxes, mortgage, water, sewer, etc...).

I am going there tonight to drop off this bank statement. I doubt they are communicating with my mother in law or father in law - - they have extremely heavy jamaican accents and unless you've been around them for quite some time - you have no idea what they're saying.

As for them going after her for any monies - like I said between the 2 of them their SS is $900 - - so they won't get much - but i guess a lien on the house.

Thanks for all of your help - - and the other issue - I have been on them for their slackness in his care as well - - what a nightmare - I can see why the elderly plead to not go there!!!! UGH

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">